Time for electoral reform fit for the 21st century

Quickbeam 07:27 27 May 2019

As the Tories have their worst election result since 1832, which incidentally also gave us an electoral reform by way of the Great Reform Act, we now see the end of the duopolies 'right to rule' looming close. Very close...

Quickbeam 07:30 27 May 2019

I've also just done something that I've never done before, or thought that I ever would. I've officially joined a political party!

bremner 09:33 27 May 2019

I predict the EU election will be a one off reaction to a single issue - Brexit.

Brexit Party and Change UK voters will return to the Tories and Labour as will many who have registered a protest vote though the Lib Dems and Greens.

Our two party system has been shaken but will remain as such for many years to come. True reform to local and national elections can only come with a change to proportional representation. PR only favours the smaller parties therefore the Tories and Labour fundamentally do not want it. The watered down AV referendum in 2011 only happened because the result was totally predictable.

natdoor 09:48 27 May 2019

Quickbeam, I hope it was the Tory party and that another 120,000 sensible people will do the same to prevent Boris from becoming PM.

Quickbeam 09:59 27 May 2019

Don't be silly natdoor!

Quickbeam 10:02 27 May 2019

bremner

People are wakening up to the restrictions of FPTP, they weren't convinced at the time of the 2014 referendum, but they are now.

Give us Great Reform Act 3.0!

bremner 11:15 27 May 2019

It does not matter whether a few people wake up - as we have found with Brexit what the people want and want the politicians are prepared to let them have are two very different things.

Govan1x 12:44 27 May 2019

United we stand divided we fall.

That is the good news as smaller Party's are getting more votes and of course they come from the so called Big 2.

We have seen recently that most MP's don't give a crap about their own party's never mind the people they are supposed to represent.

So I would say electoral reform looks like the way to go.

Just with the EU results last night they still do not get the message that the Voters are not happy with the decisions they make.

It obviously does not matter to them that the brexit voters voted for change but none of the big 2 are taking any notice.

And why should they you may say as they don't have any MP's so it will make no difference to the brexit fiasco.

The warning is there but no one is listening.

Solitary MP's are making up their own minds as to what they want and don't care what their party wants.

We need some form of change or I can see things getting worse.

Not sure how it will come about.But now is the time for it.

Myself I cant stand the Tory party never have , But I would rather vote for them than give Labour my vote. I have always voted Labour but never again.

It seems they will do anything to get a new general Election rather than listen to the 52 % of voters.

Lets hope that they get thrashed if they if they get that vote.

john bunyan 13:06 27 May 2019

Votes for Remain parties: 9 million. Votes for Leave parties: 6 million. Interesting...... It ain’t over yet!

rickf 13:18 27 May 2019

No, looks like it sure ain't over.

Quickbeam 14:06 27 May 2019

There appears to be no middle ground now. I all one extreme or the other.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi A3 Release Date, Price & Specification Rumours

HP Z27 Monitor Review

Best Apple Deals of Amazon Prime Day 2019

Les bons plans appareils photos (2019)