For those who have had the rogue

johndrew 15:22 22 Jan 2015
Answered

telephone offers to 'fix' contaminated systems and used online support services which were bogus this could be payback time.

The PDF makes interesting reading for those with an urge toward the legal side.

BillSers 09:52 28 Jan 2015

Show me the post in which I actually did that, and we'll discuss it further. Otherwise I'll expect an apology.

Well done, Peter, you've won another argument by your shrewdness and backup. But don't hold your breath you'll get no apology from me. You can't remember? Come on, do me a favour. I assume your memory is a selective one. Please don't insult my intelligence and give the excuse you can't recall that many posts. And I know your tactics of old so I'll pre-empt you on calling me paranoid as well. As you well know you've deleted that thread and all the posts by that member. Not only that but you have no proper search facility. Very clever. That's why you win so many arguments; editorial over-control. That sounds like vulnerability to me. And a deep unnatural desire to win at all costs, even losing your integrity.

I wondered how long it would take for you to step in and back up spider9 when the pressure was building up but this time it took longer than I thought. Do you really think us Eloi are that stupid? Your wording is vertually the same. Shame on you.

**For someone who has purported to be an author "...a police station who was under arrest." is a classic! What had that poor police station done??(:-0)**

At least you've got a good memory unlike others on this forum. You accused me of being childish, but when there's a force 7 hurricane and monsoon rain lashing down outside your front door in the Philippines and the internet connection keeps of going down it's a mite difficult to keep up to your high ? standards ;0)

The telling point is that "None has yet been shown to be fully effective " As a person suffering from Tinnitus it's not something I'd risk inflicting on anybody in a call centre, they're just the small fry doing a crap job for peanuts.

We don't actually know that these phone scammers are the small fry, do we, or that they're earning peanuts, that is just conjecture? Judging from the following statement it seems they're quite proficient in the technical side of hacking, planting trojans or viruses and fraudulantly gleaning all one's life savings.

“Many of these technical support companies are able to gain victims’ trust by claiming they work for Microsoft, are a Microsoft Certified Partner, or [are] somehow affiliated with Microsoft. In some instances, once the tech scammer gains remote access to a consumer’s computer, they will use scare tactics — telling the consumer that if they do not pay for support services they will lose all of their files, suffer a computer crash, or risk the leak of personal identifiable information. Pop-up browser windows simulating virus-scanning software have fooled victims into either downloading a fake anti-virus program (at a substantial cost) or an actual virus that will open up whatever information is on the user’s computer to scammers.”

BTW my father suffered from the ringing in the ear syndrome and you have my sympathy. He found it was greatly eleviated by acupunture and hypnotherapy.

Belatucadrus 12:54 28 Jan 2015

quite proficient in the technical side of hacking

Last but one I spoke to didn't even know Android was an operating system, her skill levels were so low I'd have been nuts to let her near a computer even if she'd been genuine. I also find the idea that competent hackers and scam artists are sitting somewhere in Bangalore individually phoning people at random laughable.

Now as I said the scam artists themselves and the owners of the call centers who will clearly contract themselves to anybody for a fast buck, well best of luck to Microsoft, nail their hides to a wall.

johndrew 14:21 28 Jan 2015

Belatucadrus

.. nail their hides to a wall

I seem to remember the people of Worcester did something similar to a Viking tax collector - and it is not the only example around the country I understand!!

bumpkin 16:21 28 Jan 2015

Back to the rogue:-) calls, just had one from someone who obviously had some knowledge of my medical history. She had no hint of a foreign accent and implied she was something to do with the NHS or my doctor. Asked a few questions then said she would book me into the "clinic" for Wednesday next week asking whether AM or PM was most convenient. The moment I said I would check this out with my GP she rang off without a further word. What next I wonder.

john bunyan 16:31 28 Jan 2015

Before any conversation I always ask what number they were calling and how did they get it - I do not say what it is as I am ex - dir. I also ask for a number to call back on. No number no conversation. I also sometimes leave a suspect caller on hold until they disconnect. Mostly I just disconnect. My broadband phone is programmed to not accept withheld or unrecognised numbers - a message says "call back with a recognisable number".

bumpkin 16:33 28 Jan 2015

A bit to add to that. She was incredibly convincing from the start but I became suspicious when phrases like "it will cost you nothing" and "we will tell you how much you are entitled to" entered the conversation.

Forum Editor 16:52 28 Jan 2015

BillSers

"Well done, Peter, you've won another argument by your shrewdness and backup. But don't hold your breath you'll get no apology from me. You can't remember? Come on, do me a favour. I assume your memory is a selective one."

Then again

"As you well know you've deleted that thread and all the posts by that member."

First you make a wild, sweeping allegation that I "....not only condoned but actively supported throwing a criminal down the stairs in a police station who was under arrest."

Then you accuse me of deleting the thread in question, without even bothering to find out if that was true. It isn't true - the thread is alive and on the archive. Another forum member found it and emailed me with a link. It shows quite clearly that what I actually said was: "I hope the culprit falls heavily down the steps of the Police station on the way to the cells, but that would be an inappropriate thing to say, so I won't say it."

I wrote that because the culprit in question had viciously attacked a 90 year old man from behind as he went to open the door of the home he had lived in for 84 years. His attacker punched and kicked his victim, threw him to the ground, breaking his hip, and left him lying there after robbing him of everything he had on him. The victim was lying in the street for half an hour before someone found him. He never recovered from his injuries, and died 11 weeks later.

Later the same day the same criminal mugged a 66 year old woman, beating her around the head with her own shopping bag. What a brave man he was.

I spoke out in anger, and I don't regret a word of what was a personal opinion. What I did not do was advocate or actively support the Police throwing a criminal down the stairs in a Police station. I was very careful not to do that. It's not my memory which is selective.

I didn't expect an apology from you. You're harbouring a grudge - it leaps out from the comments you've addressed to me in this thread. It happens in web forums, as it happens in real life.I can do nothing about it I'm afraid - it has to remain your problem.

Belatucadrus 17:23 28 Jan 2015

Worcester did something similar to a Viking tax collector

True then King Harthacnut burned the city to the ground, but he wasn't one of histories more enlightened monarchs.

Wonder if Angela is considering similar for Athens ?

BillSers 04:26 29 Jan 2015

Yet you still appear to delight in inflicting these injuries on others! Your father must be proud of you!

Silly comment. He's dead.

**First you make a wild, sweeping allegation that I "....not only condoned but actively supported throwing a criminal down the stairs in a police station who was under arrest." Then you accuse me of deleting the thread in question, without even bothering to find out if that was true. It isn't true - the thread is alive and on the archive. Another forum member found it and emailed me with a link. It shows quite clearly that what I actually said was: "I hope the culprit falls heavily down the steps of the Police station on the way to the cells, but that would be an inappropriate thing to say, so I won't say it."**

That was clever of the other member. I spent quite a while looking for it. Can I ask how they found it perchance?

I didn't expect an apology from you. You're harbouring a grudge - it leaps out from the comments you've addressed to me in this thread. It happens in web forums, as it happens in real life.I can do nothing about it I'm afraid - it has to remain your problem.

I'm not harbouring a grudge. I just don't like being accused of being childish and judged by someone whose reaction to the police station incident is somewhat a lot more violent than mine.

bumpkin 16:17 29 Jan 2015

Personally if someone wants to harm me or my family either physically or financially I could not give a toss what happens to them whether they are thrown down police station steps or deafened by a telephone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Stadia review

When 12 countries take on the same brief in a globalised world

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Les meilleurs bracelets connectés (2019)