Hot Topics

For those who have had the rogue

johndrew 15:22 22 Jan 2015
Answered

telephone offers to 'fix' contaminated systems and used online support services which were bogus this could be payback time.

The PDF makes interesting reading for those with an urge toward the legal side.

bumpkin 16:33 28 Jan 2015

A bit to add to that. She was incredibly convincing from the start but I became suspicious when phrases like "it will cost you nothing" and "we will tell you how much you are entitled to" entered the conversation.

Forum Editor 16:52 28 Jan 2015

BillSers

"Well done, Peter, you've won another argument by your shrewdness and backup. But don't hold your breath you'll get no apology from me. You can't remember? Come on, do me a favour. I assume your memory is a selective one."

Then again

"As you well know you've deleted that thread and all the posts by that member."

First you make a wild, sweeping allegation that I "....not only condoned but actively supported throwing a criminal down the stairs in a police station who was under arrest."

Then you accuse me of deleting the thread in question, without even bothering to find out if that was true. It isn't true - the thread is alive and on the archive. Another forum member found it and emailed me with a link. It shows quite clearly that what I actually said was: "I hope the culprit falls heavily down the steps of the Police station on the way to the cells, but that would be an inappropriate thing to say, so I won't say it."

I wrote that because the culprit in question had viciously attacked a 90 year old man from behind as he went to open the door of the home he had lived in for 84 years. His attacker punched and kicked his victim, threw him to the ground, breaking his hip, and left him lying there after robbing him of everything he had on him. The victim was lying in the street for half an hour before someone found him. He never recovered from his injuries, and died 11 weeks later.

Later the same day the same criminal mugged a 66 year old woman, beating her around the head with her own shopping bag. What a brave man he was.

I spoke out in anger, and I don't regret a word of what was a personal opinion. What I did not do was advocate or actively support the Police throwing a criminal down the stairs in a Police station. I was very careful not to do that. It's not my memory which is selective.

I didn't expect an apology from you. You're harbouring a grudge - it leaps out from the comments you've addressed to me in this thread. It happens in web forums, as it happens in real life.I can do nothing about it I'm afraid - it has to remain your problem.

BillSers 04:26 29 Jan 2015

Yet you still appear to delight in inflicting these injuries on others! Your father must be proud of you!

Silly comment. He's dead.

**First you make a wild, sweeping allegation that I "....not only condoned but actively supported throwing a criminal down the stairs in a police station who was under arrest." Then you accuse me of deleting the thread in question, without even bothering to find out if that was true. It isn't true - the thread is alive and on the archive. Another forum member found it and emailed me with a link. It shows quite clearly that what I actually said was: "I hope the culprit falls heavily down the steps of the Police station on the way to the cells, but that would be an inappropriate thing to say, so I won't say it."**

That was clever of the other member. I spent quite a while looking for it. Can I ask how they found it perchance?

I didn't expect an apology from you. You're harbouring a grudge - it leaps out from the comments you've addressed to me in this thread. It happens in web forums, as it happens in real life.I can do nothing about it I'm afraid - it has to remain your problem.

I'm not harbouring a grudge. I just don't like being accused of being childish and judged by someone whose reaction to the police station incident is somewhat a lot more violent than mine.

bumpkin 16:17 29 Jan 2015

Personally if someone wants to harm me or my family either physically or financially I could not give a toss what happens to them whether they are thrown down police station steps or deafened by a telephone.

Devil Fish 00:20 30 Jan 2015

Wow Certainly a decisive subject

Personally i use 2 routes with cold callers and scam callers depending on what sort of mood i am in

1) Put phone down if i am a really cant be bothered mood 2) waste their time and keep them on phone as long as possible as it costs them money if i am in a mischievous mood

But trying to harm a person makes you no better than they are in actual fact it probably takes you lower

BillSers 05:58 30 Jan 2015

**"Silly comment. He's dead." Perhaps if you had been clearer on that point, originally, it might have helped!! "My father suffered...." is not necessarily announcing his demise, my uncle suffered with a broken leg - but he's not dead, yet!! However, you are correct - I am feeling the 'pressure' of this intense (!!) debate with you, so, for the sake of my own health, I'll leave you to it!! :-(**

I didn't realise I had to quantify anything at all to you because as I can't see into the future I had no idea a childish comment like 'Yet you still appear to delight in inflicting these injuries on others! Your father must be proud of you!' was going to coming winging my way.

But I will explain, as I think you deserve it, that my father was a wing-walker as a teenager for a flying circus and used to walk across the span on the top wing of a bi-plane for the amusement of the crowds. When he was old enough he joined the RAF to fight Hitler and the Nazis and became a paratrooper and taught others how to parachute. He died of a heart attack we believe brought on by losing his life savings to extortionists. I'll always regret I wasn't there to help as I was away at the time. I think he was proud of me as he always used to call me 'a tough little bugger'.

I have deleted a sentence that contained a personal insult aimed at another forum user. FE (at 17:41 on 31/01/15)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Report says rental e-scooters will be legal on UK roads from Saturday

MC Escher: the world's first data artist?

Mystery 10-core iMac appears in Geekbench results

Les meilleures séries OCS (2020)