Hot Topics

For those who have had the rogue

johndrew 15:22 22 Jan 2015
Answered

telephone offers to 'fix' contaminated systems and used online support services which were bogus this could be payback time.

The PDF makes interesting reading for those with an urge toward the legal side.

Forum Editor 08:09 27 Jan 2015

"This stuffiness sounds like an old headmaster I once had."

Perhaps not stuffiness, but plain commonsense. Revelling in announcing (as some have)how you think that an ear-splitting sound played down a phone line is a mature way of dealing with cold callers is surely just macho posturing? It isn't going to stop people calling you, and could result in damaging the hearing of someone who is simply doing the job they are paid to do.

I find it all a little sad quite frankly that some people think it acceptable or desirable behaviour to take revenge in this way. Calling me stuffy, and accusing me - as someone else has - of getting on my high horse just serves to underline the difference in our attitudes, I suppose.

BillSers 09:21 27 Jan 2015

**"This stuffiness sounds like an old headmaster I once had." Perhaps not stuffiness, but plain commonsense. Revelling in announcing (as some have)how you think that an ear-splitting sound played down a phone line is a mature way of dealing with cold callers is surely just macho posturing? It isn't going to stop people calling you, and could result in damaging the hearing of someone who is simply doing the job they are paid to do. I find it all a little sad quite frankly that some people think it acceptable or desirable behaviour to take revenge in this way. Calling me stuffy, and accusing me - as someone else has - of getting on my high horse just serves to underline the difference in our attitudes, I suppose.**

I was going to let this go but as you've carried on I'm not going to now. And you're persistence in backing up your wingman isn't going to get you away from this one.

My wanting to punish a criminal undergoing criminal activity by sending an ear-piercing noise down the line wouldn't damage their hearing for one simple reason. As soon as the noise is heard, unless the person is the thickest person in the world, would simply take the earpiece away from their ear before it could do any damage. It's not rocket science to comprehend this. But the fact is it would probably act more as a deterrent than simply putting down the phone and as I previously said, which conveniently seems to be ignored by both of you, is that these nasty little cretins would simply dial another number and their next victim could be a little old lady or someone disabled who could lose everything they've spent a lifetime saving up for. If you want to support this then that is down to you and your conscience. But before you judge me think back to a time a while back when you yourself not only condoned but actively supported throwing a criminal down the stairs in a police station who was under arrest. Not only that but you hounded away from the forums a forum contributor whose username began with Al who persisted in you explaining yourself. I said the word hilarious for the simple reason I find this type of double-standards quite amusing.

Ex plorer 09:37 27 Jan 2015

My mother who is 93 gets these call at least once a fortnight and she hasn't a computer and never has had.

I keep her up to date with scams on the phone, post, and door step callers.

Forum Editor 09:52 27 Jan 2015

BillSers

get a grip, for goodness sake - your last post simply reeks of childish vendetta.

It's not up to you to punish criminals, and your inference that I'm supporting criminal activities by suggesting you are misguided in wanting to hurt cold callers is quite ridiculous.

Just put the phone down, for goodness sake, like any sensible person would.

I'm not responding to all your silly 'wingman' stuff.

Forum Editor 09:57 27 Jan 2015

BillSers

"But before you judge me think back to a time a while back when you yourself not only condoned but actively supported throwing a criminal down the stairs in a police station who was under arrest."

Show me the post in which I actually did that, and we'll discuss it further. Otherwise I'll expect an apology.

Forum Editor 14:20 27 Jan 2015

Belatucadrus

You make the point better than I did.

BillSers 09:52 28 Jan 2015

Show me the post in which I actually did that, and we'll discuss it further. Otherwise I'll expect an apology.

Well done, Peter, you've won another argument by your shrewdness and backup. But don't hold your breath you'll get no apology from me. You can't remember? Come on, do me a favour. I assume your memory is a selective one. Please don't insult my intelligence and give the excuse you can't recall that many posts. And I know your tactics of old so I'll pre-empt you on calling me paranoid as well. As you well know you've deleted that thread and all the posts by that member. Not only that but you have no proper search facility. Very clever. That's why you win so many arguments; editorial over-control. That sounds like vulnerability to me. And a deep unnatural desire to win at all costs, even losing your integrity.

I wondered how long it would take for you to step in and back up spider9 when the pressure was building up but this time it took longer than I thought. Do you really think us Eloi are that stupid? Your wording is vertually the same. Shame on you.

**For someone who has purported to be an author "...a police station who was under arrest." is a classic! What had that poor police station done??(:-0)**

At least you've got a good memory unlike others on this forum. You accused me of being childish, but when there's a force 7 hurricane and monsoon rain lashing down outside your front door in the Philippines and the internet connection keeps of going down it's a mite difficult to keep up to your high ? standards ;0)

The telling point is that "None has yet been shown to be fully effective " As a person suffering from Tinnitus it's not something I'd risk inflicting on anybody in a call centre, they're just the small fry doing a crap job for peanuts.

We don't actually know that these phone scammers are the small fry, do we, or that they're earning peanuts, that is just conjecture? Judging from the following statement it seems they're quite proficient in the technical side of hacking, planting trojans or viruses and fraudulantly gleaning all one's life savings.

“Many of these technical support companies are able to gain victims’ trust by claiming they work for Microsoft, are a Microsoft Certified Partner, or [are] somehow affiliated with Microsoft. In some instances, once the tech scammer gains remote access to a consumer’s computer, they will use scare tactics — telling the consumer that if they do not pay for support services they will lose all of their files, suffer a computer crash, or risk the leak of personal identifiable information. Pop-up browser windows simulating virus-scanning software have fooled victims into either downloading a fake anti-virus program (at a substantial cost) or an actual virus that will open up whatever information is on the user’s computer to scammers.”

BTW my father suffered from the ringing in the ear syndrome and you have my sympathy. He found it was greatly eleviated by acupunture and hypnotherapy.

johndrew 14:21 28 Jan 2015

Belatucadrus

.. nail their hides to a wall

I seem to remember the people of Worcester did something similar to a Viking tax collector - and it is not the only example around the country I understand!!

bumpkin 16:21 28 Jan 2015

Back to the rogue:-) calls, just had one from someone who obviously had some knowledge of my medical history. She had no hint of a foreign accent and implied she was something to do with the NHS or my doctor. Asked a few questions then said she would book me into the "clinic" for Wednesday next week asking whether AM or PM was most convenient. The moment I said I would check this out with my GP she rang off without a further word. What next I wonder.

john bunyan 16:31 28 Jan 2015

Before any conversation I always ask what number they were calling and how did they get it - I do not say what it is as I am ex - dir. I also ask for a number to call back on. No number no conversation. I also sometimes leave a suspect caller on hold until they disconnect. Mostly I just disconnect. My broadband phone is programmed to not accept withheld or unrecognised numbers - a message says "call back with a recognisable number".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 10 Launches Globally: Price, Release Date, Specs and more

Best Free, Deep Discounted tools for artists and designers 2020

How to get Apple's Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro free

Qwant moteur de recherche par défaut sur les derniers Huawei