For those who have had the rogue

johndrew 15:22 22 Jan 2015
Answered

telephone offers to 'fix' contaminated systems and used online support services which were bogus this could be payback time.

The PDF makes interesting reading for those with an urge toward the legal side.

Al94 00:04 27 Jan 2015

Oh do get off your high horse FE. The thread doesn't relate to cold callers in general, just to specific blatantly criminal calls which are easily identifiable. You must have the patience of a saint if you advocate simply replacing the receiver after being awoken by early morning calls from these scammers on several successive days.

BillSers 05:05 27 Jan 2015

**Yesterday, I was out walking and was stopped by two young men who asked if they could have a word with me. They were Jehovah's witnesses. I said no thank you and continued my walk. They, too, were after the contents of my wallet (eventually!!) to propagate their beliefs in a mystical being. Should I have physically assaulted them??**

You remind me of forum member when he used to make completely irrelevant and obscure parallel analogies too.

BillSers 05:07 27 Jan 2015

I'm always astonished, every time threads like this crop up, by the number of people who think it's OK to wreak revenge on cold callers - sending ear-splitting noises down the line etc.

That kind of behaviour takes you way down below the level of those who carry out the cold-calling activities in the first place. By far the simplest way to terminate the call is just to replace the receiver - don't say anything, or do anything.

Behaving in a juvenile manner yourself isn't going to stop these people calling you in any case.

Hilarious stuff. This stuffiness sounds like an old headmaster I once had.

Forum Editor 08:09 27 Jan 2015

"This stuffiness sounds like an old headmaster I once had."

Perhaps not stuffiness, but plain commonsense. Revelling in announcing (as some have)how you think that an ear-splitting sound played down a phone line is a mature way of dealing with cold callers is surely just macho posturing? It isn't going to stop people calling you, and could result in damaging the hearing of someone who is simply doing the job they are paid to do.

I find it all a little sad quite frankly that some people think it acceptable or desirable behaviour to take revenge in this way. Calling me stuffy, and accusing me - as someone else has - of getting on my high horse just serves to underline the difference in our attitudes, I suppose.

BillSers 09:21 27 Jan 2015

**"This stuffiness sounds like an old headmaster I once had." Perhaps not stuffiness, but plain commonsense. Revelling in announcing (as some have)how you think that an ear-splitting sound played down a phone line is a mature way of dealing with cold callers is surely just macho posturing? It isn't going to stop people calling you, and could result in damaging the hearing of someone who is simply doing the job they are paid to do. I find it all a little sad quite frankly that some people think it acceptable or desirable behaviour to take revenge in this way. Calling me stuffy, and accusing me - as someone else has - of getting on my high horse just serves to underline the difference in our attitudes, I suppose.**

I was going to let this go but as you've carried on I'm not going to now. And you're persistence in backing up your wingman isn't going to get you away from this one.

My wanting to punish a criminal undergoing criminal activity by sending an ear-piercing noise down the line wouldn't damage their hearing for one simple reason. As soon as the noise is heard, unless the person is the thickest person in the world, would simply take the earpiece away from their ear before it could do any damage. It's not rocket science to comprehend this. But the fact is it would probably act more as a deterrent than simply putting down the phone and as I previously said, which conveniently seems to be ignored by both of you, is that these nasty little cretins would simply dial another number and their next victim could be a little old lady or someone disabled who could lose everything they've spent a lifetime saving up for. If you want to support this then that is down to you and your conscience. But before you judge me think back to a time a while back when you yourself not only condoned but actively supported throwing a criminal down the stairs in a police station who was under arrest. Not only that but you hounded away from the forums a forum contributor whose username began with Al who persisted in you explaining yourself. I said the word hilarious for the simple reason I find this type of double-standards quite amusing.

Ex plorer 09:37 27 Jan 2015

My mother who is 93 gets these call at least once a fortnight and she hasn't a computer and never has had.

I keep her up to date with scams on the phone, post, and door step callers.

Forum Editor 09:52 27 Jan 2015

BillSers

get a grip, for goodness sake - your last post simply reeks of childish vendetta.

It's not up to you to punish criminals, and your inference that I'm supporting criminal activities by suggesting you are misguided in wanting to hurt cold callers is quite ridiculous.

Just put the phone down, for goodness sake, like any sensible person would.

I'm not responding to all your silly 'wingman' stuff.

Forum Editor 09:57 27 Jan 2015

BillSers

"But before you judge me think back to a time a while back when you yourself not only condoned but actively supported throwing a criminal down the stairs in a police station who was under arrest."

Show me the post in which I actually did that, and we'll discuss it further. Otherwise I'll expect an apology.

Belatucadrus 12:40 27 Jan 2015

A little light reading for those that convince themselves it's OK to make loud noises on the phone line as the safety cut out renders it harmless.

Click Here

The telling point is that "None has yet been shown to be fully effective " As a person suffering from Tinnitus it's not something I'd risk inflicting on anybody in a call centre, they're just the small fry doing a crap job for peanuts.

Now the ones who set up the scam, them I'd depilate with a blowtorch, but you never get to speak to them.

Forum Editor 14:20 27 Jan 2015

Belatucadrus

You make the point better than I did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

The Berlin Wall inspires a new font for the 30th anniversary of its fall

AirPods Pro review

Test : la HolyHigh, une montre connectée GPS orientée sport