For those who have had the rogue

johndrew 15:22 22 Jan 2015
Answered

telephone offers to 'fix' contaminated systems and used online support services which were bogus this could be payback time.

The PDF makes interesting reading for those with an urge toward the legal side.

Al94 09:28 24 Jan 2015

It's navy pamby attitudes like that spider9 that have us where we are today. If their "job" involves fraud deceit and criminality then any type of response to the caller is fair game.

john bunyan 09:36 24 Jan 2015

spider9

Perhaps taking a course on Anger Management might be a first step for you??

How about this person?

Punchy Pope

namtas 10:32 24 Jan 2015

Ditto Pine Man, best purchase for years - sheer bliss

carver 11:41 24 Jan 2015

spider9 these people are not just some poor person trying to make a living, these people are out to scam you out of your money.

They pray on the people who do not understand computers, the old, the trusting and worst of all people who may have learning disability's.

So please do not even try to defend them, they are not forced at gunpoint to phone people up and try to rip people off.

bumpkin 12:37 24 Jan 2015

**Impossible with the BT8500!

How can it know who is calling when they use different or witheld numbers most of the time Does it block all international calls? Not criticism just curious as to how it can work.

Pine Man 12:49 24 Jan 2015

bumpkin

Basically if someone calls you that is not in your list of contacts the phone will not ring but ask the caller to identify themselves and press the hash key. When that is done your phone rings and you hear who is calling you and then you have the several options to either speak to them or deal with the call in other ways by pressing a key.

In other words your phone will never ring unless the caller is in your contacts. You can set the phone to Block specific numbers or specific groups. It sounds a bit complicated but I was surprised how easy it was to set up and how quiet the phone is nowadays.

I did wonder how, shops, for instance would react when calling to let you know that goods were in etc but have had no problems whatsoever. They give their name, your phone rings, you hear there name and press key 1 and talk to them.

Aitchbee 12:53 24 Jan 2015

Does the BT8500's Call Blocking feature not require that a fee of £1.75 per month is paid to BT for caller display to be activated?

Al94 13:41 24 Jan 2015

This "certain type of poster" thinks it is you spider9 who needs to grow up and smell the coffee. I suppose you are the sort of person who thinks barbed wire and sundry security measures shouldn't be used in case a criminal gets hurt. My early morning calls stopped and if a criminal suffered ear damage in the process, I care not a jot although it appears highly unlikely due to the volume limitations already alluded to.

Pine Man 15:15 24 Jan 2015

Does the BT8500's Call Blocking feature not require that a fee of £1.75 per month is paid to BT for caller display to be activated?

I have no idea about BT it used to be free when I was with them but since then I have had o2 and now Sky. I think there is a charge but I have always had it. However you do need caller ID for the BT8500 and I suspect for any other call blocking devices.

BillSers 04:17 25 Jan 2015

**It's not a matter of saintliness - it's a matter of you possibly causing severe physical damage to an unknown person, for your own gratification. Does any person just doing their job really deserve your vile attempts to injure them? I doubt whether the calls are from the same person every time, it will be a 'call centre' - so why not expend your energy trying to find out who the owners are and attack them rather than the poor sods at the 'frontline' just trying to make a living. Perhaps you've never been in a situation of having to do a lousy job to support yourself/family - in which case you are very lucky, and means there is even less excuse for you to physically attack anyone having to do such a thing. Perhaps taking a course on Anger Management might be a first step for you??**

You condone and support criminal activity do you? Putting the phone down on someone who is trying to extort money, all your personal data and destroy your valuable machine is not going to work. How naive can you get? They'll either keep on persistently pestering you as they did or move on to the next person. The next victim could be a pensioner or someone disabled and could lose all their money, passwords and life savings just because this poor soul is trying to make a living. Really! What world are you living in?

If Anger Management is your answer for me wanting to stop your poor unfortunate criminals who you seem to support then I really don't think that's the answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Stadia review

When 12 countries take on the same brief in a globalised world

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2019)