Those often miss spelt or out of context

jack 08:02 23 Sep 2008

Under caption on the news programs

Yesterday pumping away on the bike in the gym, in the front the inevitable plasma screen with early, morning news, no sound but with teletext captions following the speakers.

My companion on the next bike - said between grants and puffs - said 'Ho Ho got that wrong I bet'
'What?' I puffed
'They way that came up'- he grunted nodding to the caption.
'Why do you think that then' hissed me
'Thats voice recognition software for you innit'
He said.
Then the bike buzzer chimed - we had done our bit.

Well I had never thought of that - I have always imagined - when ever I thought of that type of thing - some poor typist with a head set flogging away trying to keep up.

What do you all reckon? VR or a typist?

GRIDD 08:20 23 Sep 2008

Strange post.

Are subtitles done by a human or a computer?

Without knowing the definitive answer - I would say both. My wife, although not hard of hearing, likes the subtitles on and sometimes you get descriptions of sounds... examples:

"Ringing telephone" "large swooshing sound" "thunderous applause"

Surely a computer cannot analyse and identify those sounds?

Then there's the background music that is always identified, a human would have to be standing over the computer ensuring all is correct. Although there is software to identify songs like 'TrackID' on mobile phones it often gets it wrong.

jack 08:37 23 Sep 2008

Plays film docu's, are all prepared in editing just like the dratted background music that drowns out the meaningful narrative.

What I am referring to is News Casts or live discussion where it is displayed as spoken -or just after.

GRIDD 08:46 23 Sep 2008

Ah, they are computer.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:16 23 Sep 2008

Some subtitles are produced live....click here

G

interzone55 09:31 23 Sep 2008

Sub-titles are mostly done using voice recognition, but are then checked and corrected by a human.

On live broadcasts, such as news bulletins, the subtitles are corrected on the fly, you can sometimes see this happening because the subtitles will change as they crawl across the screen.

interzone55 09:35 23 Sep 2008

Thanks for that link,

I often watch US programs with the subtitles on because either the vocal mix is too low, or the music is too high.

jack 09:54 23 Sep 2008

Gandalf - you certainly have your finger on the button

GRIDD 11:25 23 Sep 2008

7.5 million use subtitles and only 1.5 million are actually hearing impaired.

I'm hearing impaired and hate subtitles blocking the screen. My wife has normal hearing and prefers the subtitles on.

My preference is to crank up the volume if I can't hear what's being said.

As for those shaky camera movies like Blair Witch and that Cloverfield. I just don't watch them.

Condom 01:57 26 Sep 2008

My wife likes the TV sound too low for me so the subtitles are great on most programs. My Norwegian friend does it for his TV company and often asks me for help for explaining some English phrases or words so he can translate it better into Norwegian. I live in Thailand much of the year now and the subtitles on some of their dodgy DVD's are often much funnier than the films themselves. Lost in translation has a whole new meaning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?