Thomas Cook Reports a £1.5bn Loss

Pine Man 10:40 16 May 2019
Answered

click here Without opening any old wounds about Brexit I was a little surprised to see that Thomas Cook said there was "now little doubt" that Brexit had caused customers to delay their summer holiday plans.

I have already booked my next two holidays for this year and did so about 6 months ago. When I booked the holidays the last thing that affected my decision was Brexit. In fact it didn't feature at all and why would it?

Without

Pine Man 10:42 16 May 2019

I messed it up a bit and 'Without' should be between the link and 'opening'.

Sorry.

Quickbeam 16:15 16 May 2019

We don't like anything foreign anymore...?

Forum Editor 18:43 16 May 2019

"I messed it up a bit and 'Without' should be between the link and 'opening'."

And now it is.

Pine Man 18:44 16 May 2019

Many thanks.

oresome 20:34 16 May 2019
Answer

When I booked the holidays the last thing that affected my decision was Brexit. In fact it didn't feature at all and why would it?

I've no doubt there are quite a few industries where Brexit will impact employment prospects. Car manufacturing as an example.

I no longer work but I'm impacted by the increasing likelihood of a Corbyn led government getting into power depressing many share prices due to the threat of re-nationalisation.

Perhaps concern for climate change and pollution is curtailing travel for some and there's an obvious lack of money for holidays in many households.

Forum Editor 20:41 16 May 2019

"I've no doubt there are quite a few industries where Brexit will impact employment prospects. Car manufacturing as an example."

I don't think there's any doubt that the delays and uncertainties over Brexit have had a big impact on the holiday industry.

Quickbeam 06:33 17 May 2019

"increasing likelihood of a Corbyn led government getting into power"

I wouldn't worry about that now. Since the two Brexit deadlines that were set in stone have crumbled like chalk, we have suddenly repelled the apparent 2017 return to two party politics of right to rule.

The best that either of the current big two can hope for now is to be part of a coalition.

A few weeks ago you all laughed when I suggested that it could be possible for a coalition of Libdem, SNP and other minor parties to form the next government, that's becoming more likely by the hour now....

oresome 08:01 17 May 2019

"increasing likelihood of a Corbyn led government getting into power" I wouldn't worry about that now.

Whether I worry or not is immaterial. I don't set the prices and the market has determined that the likes of National Grid, Scottish & Southern Electric and United Utilities are no longer worth what they were due to the political risk of a Labour Government.

Quickbeam 17:19 17 May 2019

oresome

To implement their grand nationalisation plan, they will need to get a massive landslide win. Do you believe that they'll do any better than to be in a position to try to swan around the petticoats of the LibDems to get a coalition?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Sword and Shield preview

Best Office Chairs for the Studio and Home

macOS Catalina Preview: First look at the new Mac update

Que faire si votre iPad ne se charge pas ?