Hot Topics

Thomas Cook appears to be on its way out.

Al94 23:18 22 Sep 2019

Reading the reports today I have just looked at Flight Radar from which it appears that all Thomas Cook planes are heading in the one direction tonight - home! I suspect there will be an announcement in the morning.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 23 Sep 2019

How to make a total cock up!

Was out of the country all last week got back very late Friday night. First thing Saturday morning I went to the Travel Agents to book flights for a business trip to the continent on Sunday as clients panicking to get stuff done before Brexit.

TC booked the flights and car hire requested never saying a word about their plight.

Didn't see the news until 10 15 last night and have been in panic mode all day at work about whether I can get there now.

At least I'm not one of the 150,000 stuck abroad.

Govan1x 23:11 23 Sep 2019

A spokesman for Thomas Cook said on the news last week.

It was the banks that refused to give them more time to pay.

But also said that it was the same banks that the government had to bail out.

And so you have to think the government probably lost Billions on bailing the banks out but will not do it for them.

You can think of other big company's that are no longer with us when a bailout may have saved them.

I can see why the spokesman was so bitter but they have had the last 10 years or more to solve their problems.

It has not came as a surprise that they have gone into administration just a big disappointment to everyone that it has.

Forum Editor 17:09 24 Sep 2019

I can't help feeling that we are reaping what we have sown. We scour the web for the cheapest air fares we can find, and that forces established travel businesses to compete. Fares go down and down, and so do your operating margins - your fuel costs rise and it's a question of a few pounds per passenger profit. You start to sweat.

Operating passenger aircraft is bad enough - add holiday packages to the mix and you are walking a very thin line indeed. You only need a couple of terrorist incidents or natural disasters to put a brake on bookings and the whole business can start to topple. Banks are very wary of lending money when they smell a sinking ship.

Come the autumn/winter and you are faced with having to pay for all those rooms in all those hotels - 3000 hotels in Thomas Cook's case - and you don't have the cash to do it.

Businesses don't go bust because they have debts - they go bust because they don't have any cash, and the banks say 'enough'.

canarieslover 08:25 25 Sep 2019

Be Aware There is already a phone scam where they pose as Thomas Cook refund service and ask for card details. If you haven't booked with them you will immediately know it's not right, but if you have a booking with them don't fall for it. Police are aware of the scam.

wee eddie 08:38 16 Dec 2019

Spam - FE told

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Celebrate all those times brands took a stand (for good PR)

New iPad Pro (2020) release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2020)