They Seem to be Taking it Seriously This Time.

morddwyd 12:34 30 Apr 2017

In my thirty or so years at my current address O have in the past only ever received election material from the Lib Dems.

This time I have received stuff from all the major parties, including the Greens (they are a major patty up here, they currently hold the balance of power).

They're all obviously making a real effort, not that I would consider voting for any party that is so out of touch that they do't know that 75% of postal votes have already been cast, and their material ( and the cost!) is wasted!

(Talking about the local council elections, of course, not the Westminster one)

Aitchbee 16:51 30 Apr 2017

Why haven't the major political parties engaged with the internet-of-things ie. use email to communicate with the more enlightened electorate? Even my local lending library can notify me by email [albeit with my permission] when my borrowed items are due for renewal. It's not rocket science!

Forum Editor 22:56 30 Apr 2017

Aitchbee

"...use email to communicate with the more enlightened electorate?"

That would be illegal, unless each person signed up for emails, and what is all this about those people being 'more enlightened? Surely you're not suggesting that not signing up would make a person less enlightened.

oresome 09:50 01 May 2017

I often get asked in surveys prior to elections if I have been canvassed on the door step by the political candidates or their representatives.

The fact is, I haven't once in the last 50 years or so and I don't live in a remote area.

Religious sects have no problem finding the house and asking my views on profound issues that can apparently be explained by a couple of lines written in the bible thousands of years ago, but not the politicians.

Forum Editor 10:34 01 May 2017

"The fact is, I haven't once in the last 50 years or so"

Many years ago, my father stood as a parliamentary candidate in a general election (unsuccessfully). I went out with him, doorstep canvassing, on many occasions, and saw at first-hand what it entails.

You have a limited amount of time, and there are many thousands of front doors. even when you rule out your party's known supporters. We soon discovered that if you knock on every door in a particular street, the evening is wiped out (you can't call at unsociable hours, and if people are eating they may not bother to answer). On many occasions people told us that nobody had canvassed them in decades, and I appreciated how easy it is for a particular house to slip through the net.

You may not have been canvassed, but a couple of doors away someone has -it's happened to me on several occasions. Candidates have their work cut out, what with meetings to discuss tactics, speaking engagements, writing leaflets, and so on. It's very hard work, at least my father found it was.

On a lighter note, I vividly remember knocking on a door that was answered by a very attractive lady - she was a good few years older than me. I launched into my 'would you like to talk to my father - your local candidate?' speech, but she stopped me, and with a twinkle in her eye she said 'never mind about all that. Come back tomorrow without your father, and we'll see what we can do for you'.

As a famous newspaper used to say, I made my excuses and left. I didn't tell my father.

Aitchbee 19:56 02 May 2017

*Aitchbee "...use email to communicate with the more enlightened electorate?"*

Sending a few fliers by email instead of handing them out by hand or as morddwyd has suggested through the post. What's the big problem?

wee eddie 20:36 02 May 2017

HB, it's called Spam

Aitchbee 20:41 02 May 2017

wee eddie, I was thinkink that a two week period before a major election would be a good 'window-of-opportunity for a feesible workaround one-way-only-electronic-communication.

Forum Editor 08:54 03 May 2017

Aitchbee

Spam is spam - there's a law against it. You can't suspend the law, so politicians can spam you asking for support. In any event, who in their right mind is going to register their email address with all the parties (including all the minor ones), just so they can be deluged with mail?

I would file it under 'dreadful ideas' if I were you.

Anyone who doesn't get a home visit, and wants to know what the manifestos contain can read them online, read a newspaper, or listen to the radio/watch TV. Leaflets will come through the door from local candidates, in any case.

Cymro. 13:48 03 May 2017

**Anyone who doesn't get a home visit, and wants to know what the manifestos contain can read them online, read a newspaper, or listen to the radio/watch TV. Leaflets will come through the door from local candidates, in any case. **

If only more people took such an interest we might end up with better government.

BT 17:55 03 May 2017

Note to self:

Next time I update my No Cold Calling Notice add No Political Canvassers to the already extensive list of unwelcome door knockers. Not that they tend to call anyway, they've probably heard of the reception that the Religious ones get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

How to learn 3D modelling in Blender

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs jeux pour apprendre à coder