But they are only young once

Cymro. 12:15 12 Jan 2018

BBC link

Do you think we are rather too quick to criticise today's youngsters? At least they are doing well in college with less of them dropping out as used to be all the rage in the 60s. With the situation as it is with finding affordable accomodation perhaps they have an eye to their future. I doubt if they are in fact very different to what we used to be at their age. The "baby boomers" of the 1960s. are now the O.A.Ps. of present times. So would you do anything differently assuming you are old enough to have regrets. There is plenty that I would do differently but then what is youth for if not to be wasted while we are young.

canarieslover 14:02 12 Jan 2018

The trouble with wishing you had done something different is that point of view is only available with hindsight. Yes, if I knew what I know now then there are things that perhaps I would have done differently but I am quite happy with the things that I did when younger. Some of those things that were legal then have been made impossible to do nowadays with changes in the law. I belonged to a car club and we ran treasure hunts and rallies,even then we had to limit them to 12 cars, that have now been legislated out of existence. Even car clubs are few and far between now. I did a tailoring apprenticeship because every man aspired to decent suits to wear, look how fashion has gone now, but now the market has shrunk to almost nothing. I changed to engineering in my early 30's and made the most of it while raising a family and buying a house and made a it into a job I enjoyed. I've found that it's not what you regret that makes life good, it's what you are proud of in your life. With that in mind I wouldn't want to change any of it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 12 Jan 2018

"What ifs" will drive you mad if you dwell on them too much.

Apart from some physical aspects its never too late to attempt the things you think you should have done in your youth.

"But it seems to me to the contrary

Of all the crap they're going to put on the page

That a wasted youth is better by far

Than a wise and productive old age

A wasted youth is better by far

Than a wise and productive old age"

Aitchbee 23:13 14 Jan 2018

... and the wise men don't know how it feels to be

... as thick as a brick.

Forum Editor 07:58 15 Jan 2018

University of Buckingham professor of education Alan Smithers said unlike with national exams such as GCSEs and A-levels, universities were "free to award as many firsts as they like" and had "every incentive to do so".

Exactly. Nobody should get carried away with the idea that because the number of First-class degrees has risen it means that today's students are working harder than their forbears, or that they are any brighter.

The figures should first be be looked at in the light of assessment standards - is it simply easier to get a First these days? When I was at university, a First seemed to be an impossible dream to most of my fellow students - I certainly didn't get one, although my girlfriend at the time did.

Regrets? I think if they're honest most people have at least one. I have a few, but it's pointless thinking about them, and certainly far too late to do anything about them. Life is to be lived, and I'm not really one for looking back.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 6 (2018) review

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment retrouver son code Wifi ?