Hot Topics

Is there a problem with the insect population?

hssutton 11:36 01 Jun 2020

Is there a particular problem with wildlife this year? As a Wildlife photographer, both large and small varieties with small being mainly the reason for the question. This time of year I'm out and about with the macro lens attached, but on the East Coast Lincolnshire, I'm not seeing any insects whatsoever, no bees, no butterflies, no houseflies. Normally my garden would be alive with bees, hoverflies and to date I’ve only seen 2 holly blue butterflies. Also no spiders which is very strange. However due to the lockdown I've not been inland as yet.

Pine Man 11:52 01 Jun 2020

'on the East Coast Lincolnshire, I'm not seeing any insects whatsoever, no bees, no butterflies, no houseflies.'

I live on the south coast and have plenty of bees, butterflies and loads of house flies. In fact too many houseflies!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:10 01 Jun 2020

Bees in my garden but not much else. its nice to site outside and not be bothered by the flies.

East Midlands

Old Deuteronomy 14:13 01 Jun 2020

Here in West Somerset we have lots of bees, bumblebees and wasps but not seeing many butterflies or houseflies. Spiders are still about and, when I'm out early with the dog, spiderling threads accross the lanes.

Brumas 14:34 01 Jun 2020

Everything here, on the North Northumberland coast, seems pretty much normal for this time of year - I even saw a dragonfly or was it a damselfly? over the pond.

hssutton 16:18 01 Jun 2020

In that case I can only assume that it's due to the continuous cold breeze off the sea.

Aitchbee 16:35 01 Jun 2020

Out watering my little potted apple trees at the weekend I disturbed a wasps nest whilst starting on a much-needed clear-out of my verandah. I had left out some coir-lined hanging-baskets inside a bag which hadn't been moved for a while. I managed to transport it safely to another, less busy spot outside my house although I did get a solitary, puny sting on my hand from a very angry {baby} wasp ... must remember to put on gloves in future! I could see into the interior of the half-opened nest which was about the size of a tennis ball and still had many baby wasps inside I reckon.

Inside my house is relatively free from any insects apart from the occasional house spider and the ubiquitous carpet beetles. No fruit-flies, gnats or houseflies so far this year.. but it is only the first day of summer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:01 01 Jun 2020

Had a wasps nest the size of a basket ball in my loft. Pest exterminater reckoned there would probably have been about 2000 wasps in it.

mikef. 17:28 01 Jun 2020

Lots in my garden in the Midlands

Al94 22:10 01 Jun 2020

Northern Ireland - and have never seen so many bees in our garden, plenty of butterflies, the odd wasp but unusually and thankfully no greenfly.

wee eddie 22:46 01 Jun 2020

It's the wasps that eat the greenfly

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 55U1 is the best new TV you can’t buy

How to get your first design job

What's the difference between macOS and iOS/iPadOS

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs