There is more than just the two victims in this

Cymro. 12:37 10 Apr 2018

BBC link

Personally I am not in favour of placing floral tributes at the place where a tragedy occured but what do you make of people who take down such tributes presumably because in this case the man who was killed was a burglar? Surely if you are for or against such tributes it should not matter who the victim was what he was doing at the time or what background he came from. He had a family and friends who will feel his loss and I don't think it anyonce place to remove such tributes.
As I said earlier I don't like such floral tributes anyway but it is something that has become very popular and if some people find they get something out of it then who am I to spoil thing for them.

wee eddie 12:51 10 Apr 2018

A more effective response would have been to deface the tributes, as a method of registering your objection.

Crush the flowers, prick the balloons an do whatever seems appropriate for the other tributes

Forum Editor 13:52 10 Apr 2018

Over 100 floral tributes were placed on the fence of a house opposite the one in which the incident took place.

People in neighboring houses have said that they felt that the display was 'threatening'.

The man in question was a burglar who had threatened the property owner inside the house - his partner in crime had gone upstairs, where the owner's disabled wife was. It must have been a pretty frightening experience.

A sudden death is a serious thing, and most of us can understand that the dead man's loved ones are grieving.

As a society, we seem to have developed the habit of leaving flowers by roadsides and other places where people meet their death, but perhaps in this instance, 100 or so bouquets attached to a fence belonging to someone who wasn't in any way involved is a bit excessive.

lotvic 14:05 10 Apr 2018

Personally I object to anyone fastening anything, for any reason, to my fence/wall/whatever without my permission. I regard it as my right to remove said items, which I would leave where they fell (so I could not be accused of theft).

bumpkin 18:40 10 Apr 2018

Me also lotvic, I have even had on occasions estate agents erecting For Sale boards on my grass verge relating to other houses in the road.

Quickbeam 18:52 10 Apr 2018

I consider it to be highly offensive to do the shrine thing outside the house of an intended crime victim.

The burglar was intending to loot the victim's home while he was being threatened and make of with his property and not give a jot about the victim's stress and fear.

I would trash the shrine crap too. What went through the burglar's families minds to think that this could possibly be acceptable in any way to the victim or near neighbours?

alanrwood 19:19 10 Apr 2018

If they wanted to remember him then they should have done so away from the scene of HIS crime.

To do it where they did is provocative and insensitive.

bumpkin 20:04 10 Apr 2018

It just shows the kind of people they are.

Aitchbee 22:55 10 Apr 2018

The floral tributes may have helped the victims who were burgled, as it will not be easy to live with the killing of another human-being even although it was in self-defence and accidental. Just my opinion.

Forum Editor 09:55 11 Apr 2018

"The floral tributes may have helped the victims who were burgled,"

I doubt it, they are no longer living in the house - they are miles away in an undisclosed location.

lotvic 17:01 11 Apr 2018

IMHO It was not the intention to 'kill' him. According to reports he was wounded during a struggle with the householder. Self defence.

I think that his partner in crime who, instead of getting help, dragged him so far and then abandoned him on the road is somewhat to blame for Henry Vincent's demise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)