Is there an identity problem at Elections?

Cymro. 11:22 28 Apr 2018

BBC link

Personally I doubt if there is much of an identity problem at Elections but even if there is is this the best way to sort it out?

Quickbeam 18:21 28 Apr 2018

Apparently this is becoming an increasing problem in some patriarchal communities where the senior male gets someone to vote for the female members in the way that he wishes them all to vote.

BT 08:37 29 Apr 2018

All the more reason for having Identity Cards. Can't see why people are so much against them. We all probably have some form of ID be it a Driving License, Bus Pass, Passport, Debit/Credit Card, so what's the problem with a standardised National ID card as in all other EU countries (apart from Denmark and Ireland)

Pine Man 09:32 29 Apr 2018

All the more reason for having Identity Cards.

Couldn't agree more!

Old Deuteronomy 16:18 29 Apr 2018

I agree too, a single form of ID accepted by all would be very convenient. Although I can always remember who I am... Errr, usually.

bumpkin 17:21 29 Apr 2018

Yes indeed but those that do not have other ID are the ones less likely to afford them.

Quickbeam 18:33 29 Apr 2018

Is there any reason why we can't have a single ID card that acts as a passport, driving licence, DWP/benefits entitlement, library card etc...?

bumpkin 19:55 29 Apr 2018

Is there any reason why we can't have a single ID card that acts as a passport, driving licence, DWP/benefits entitlement, library card etc...?

Yes, less beaurocrats needed.

Quickbeam 06:29 30 Apr 2018

Sceptic!

BT 08:44 30 Apr 2018

...but those that do not have other ID are the ones less likely to afford them.

Why should there be any cost involved. I know that a pilot scheme a few years ago was a paid for trial but surely a compulsory National Identity Card would need to be free. Most current methods of ID - Passports, Driving Licences etc. are optional documents and paid for, but Bus Passes are free as are other methods.

If you have a Postal Vote there are a number of verifications to ensure security, but if voting in person at a Polling Station security is very minimal.

As to proving ID. In many countries you need to prove your ID in order to Vote. In most of the US its a requirement.

In Georgia for example:

Accepted IDs include:

A GA driver's license (can be expired).

A valid employee photo ID issued by any entity of the US. ...

A valid U.S. passport.

A valid U.S. military ID (with photo).

A valid tribal ID (with photo).

Any valid photo ID issued by the state or federal government.

hssutton 11:55 30 Apr 2018

I don't see ID cards as a problem. I've had one since childhood, came free of charge in 1940. Would it still be legal:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)