IS there any point to buy a car..??!!

[DELETED] 23:15 06 Jun 2008

UNREACHABLE fuel cost's & the basic's of running a car is there any point in buying one..? my wife has just passed her test & finds that there simply isnt any point in her buying a car due to the NEW & "HERE TO STAY" price's we have NO yes thats NO car/s but she wanted to buy one to get the shopping ETC but its simply cheaper going to ASDA & paying for a taxi...What a wonderfull world we live in eh"
IMHO i wonder if the UK goverment would let the high tax's on fuel SLIDE...I doubt it,it seems so silly when they have the answer to helping the economy back but they stand there ground on hight tax's...

oresome 18:45 07 Jun 2008

PalaeoBill,

That's the point. If you already pay the fixed costs, you might as well make full use of the car.

[DELETED] 19:14 07 Jun 2008

Sadly where i live public transport is not an option.
The bus goes into Taunton twice in morning & twice at night. Always full!
If they added an extra bus more people would use it still.

Stuartli 22:22 07 Jun 2008

>>The system wouldn't remain static, it would develop to meet the need and be more efficient than at present.>>

I think you need to apply somewhat more thought to that apparently spontaneous answer...:-)

[DELETED] 06:08 08 Jun 2008

I bought a Fiat Punto Grande a month ago & love it, moreover I get well over 50mpg - great stuff.

[DELETED] 07:00 08 Jun 2008

Sometimes it's not just the convenience of the car but the time as well. If I visit my inlaws and take the car I can be there in around 20-30 mins depending on traffic, lights etc. if I go with public transport you are talking anything from 70 - 120 mins depending on what route taken and frequency, it's a no brainer which mode of transport you will use in thse cases

Quickbeam 09:26 08 Jun 2008

"The system wouldn't remain static, it would develop to meet the need and be more efficient than at present"

Then why do we still have a much reduced Sunday service?

Since the Sunday trading act was revamped, we have thousands of shoppers and people working on Sundays as a normal day... yet the bus services are still operating with the quaint notion of being a lazy 1950s Sunday.

[DELETED] 11:46 08 Jun 2008

£1000 bike? I invested in a £30 second hand bike last year. It works well and is very non-nickable.

I agree about the problems with cyclists in cambridge. The number who don't have lights on when they cycle at night is frightening. That said, if they drove cars instead, I dread to think what the congestion would be like.

[DELETED] 11:50 08 Jun 2008

"However, if the vast number of around 32m motorists gave up their cars and used public transport, the system wouldn't be able to cope." In the zero-likelihood case that they did over a short period yes, so you've made a bit of a throw-away comment really.

oresome 14:20 08 Jun 2008

"Then why do we still have a much reduced Sunday service?"

I suppose the short answer is that we still have much reduced passenger numbers on a Sunday.

Parking restrictions are also reduced on a Sunday, encouraging more use of the car for city centre shopping and occupancy of the car is probably greater at the weekend making it much cheaper than public transport.

We have a bus service that passes through the estate. Evenings and much of the weekend, there is only the driver and perhaps one or two passengers on board.

Public transport is a very difficult operation to run profitably I'd have thought apart from in say London where it's accepted by the inhabitants as the way to travel.

wee eddie 17:28 08 Jun 2008

When the Average Family Saloon costs £60 a week before it has been moved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?