Thank goodness for the Thames flood barrier.

Forum Editor 23:41 28 Feb 2010

It is currently raised, and will stay that way until 4:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, protecting Central London from a high tide and anticipated tidal surge.

I've watched the barrier being raised against a full tide, and it's an impressive sight. The difference in water levels on either side was spectacular.

rdave13 23:51 28 Feb 2010

Man's fight against nature. Works today; tomorrow who knows?

mrwoowoo 03:42 01 Mar 2010

It most certainly is an impressive sight, although i have never seen it raised. I would love it if you could post a picture, if you ever get the opportunity, showing the tidal variation.
Even more impressive when you realise that, without it, a potential £80bn worth of property and infastructure would be at risk.

In the future, if the sea level rose 6ft or so then a larger, permanent barrier would need to be put in place. I think that may be a long way off though.

morddwyd 08:17 01 Mar 2010

And in another thread we're discussing the shortage of water!

As usual with nature, wrong place, wrong time!

Input Overload 08:23 01 Mar 2010

I did a bit of reading on the barrier once & it is truly a marvel of engineering, the way it works was put simply in a similar way to a gas tap. I would like to see it in action.

rdave13 09:27 01 Mar 2010

Some interesting facts; click here

sunnystaines 09:30 01 Mar 2010

a few years back there was talk of a 2nd barrier on the thames did work ever start or was it quietly shelved

muddypaws 09:41 01 Mar 2010

click here

In case anyone hasn't seen these photos.

interzone55 09:49 01 Mar 2010

I watched something on Channel Five a couple of months back about the Thames Barrier, they said it costs £5,000 a time in electricity to raise the barrier.

That's some serious motors...

Quickbeam 10:11 01 Mar 2010

" costs £5,000 a time in electricity to raise the barrier."
You'd think they would be able to use the tidal power to generate it's own electricity for that.

Or have a wind generating turbine on top, it's not too far from parliament is it...?

dagbladet 10:55 01 Mar 2010

I may be talking complete guff here (again) but a 'bloke dahn the pub' once told me that part of the London flood defence strategy involves potentially sacrificing low lying areas of Kent/Essex, within the Thames Estuary. Is that right?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts