Text messages used on TV programs

Pine Man 13:03 17 Mar 2018
Answered

Is it just me or are others getting a bit fed up with the rise in text messages being part of a TV drama?

My issue is that there aren't many dramas nowadays that do not involve someone reading a text message on their phone. You usually get a sight of it over a shoulder and in a split second it has gone! "What was that" my wife usually shouts and I have to rewind the program, stop it, get up and walk over to the TV and read it out loud. Luckily most of my TV programs have been pre-recorded.

For a while Holby City used to reproduce the phone screen larger at the side of the TV screen but that has stopped.

My TV isn't a small one and neither my wife nor I need glasses to watch TV. If the text message on the program is important to the plot it should be readable by ALL viewers.

Phew that's better!

bumpkin 16:33 17 Mar 2018

It adds to the mystery like phone calls where you only hear one side I think is the idea.

BT 09:18 18 Mar 2018
Answer

Have you also noticed that whenever anyone calls someone on a Mobile it almost always involves leaving a message. No-one hardly ever answers in contrast to real life when a call has to be answered instantly especially when driving!

Forum Editor 18:47 18 Mar 2018

I watch a lot of Scandanavian dramas, and of course there's no problem with text messages - you get them in a sub-title.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus