Hot Topics

Telephone calls re. MasterCard& Visa and BT

hssutton 13:22 23 Jan 2020

Is anyone else getting these calls, for the past 2-3 weeks I'm getting several calls a day

Gordon Freeman 10:18 24 Jan 2020

mrgrumpy - I think you're just confusing everyone, so maybe the best plan for you would be to stop offering 'advice' to others altogether?

I think people on here are sensible enough to know what to do, without your ill thought out, & clumsy contributions.

I'm sure they'll contact you if they have any other emergency, or general, life queries.

hssutton 11:53 24 Jan 2020

I get an email every month from my bank, all legit. This morning I've had two more call from Mastercard all suggesting I've made a £600 transfer abroad press one if this is incorect.

Flat Earther 12:04 24 Jan 2020

If it's your landline check with your provider, mine offers free call screening, I was plagued with scam calls but rarely get a call I need to decline these days, the procedure seems to put off scammers and cold calls.

Accepted calls go onto my approved list and get straight through in future, declined calls get blocked.

Gordon Freeman 12:34 24 Jan 2020

then maybe you should ask the FE to remove my comments.

There you go again, offering advice when none was requested.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Menzie 13:06 24 Jan 2020

I get scam calls although the frequency has gone down since I've gotten my phone which has built-in screening.

Unfortunately blocking a number is no good as they can now spoof any number.

They are now calling people showing the actual national number for banks, the local number for the police and the tax people.

On the mobile side there are apps that do automatically what Al94 and GoM are doing. They use AI and have a conversation with the scammer playing a clueless person and are supposed to annoy the person on the other end.

Here is a video of one such app in action.

Pine Man 15:53 24 Jan 2020

My land line phone has Call Guardian. Only callers who are in my phones directory get through unless they announce themselves.

I don't have a problem with rogue callers to my mobile phone - so far!

Menzie 19:40 24 Jan 2020

Pine Man you have been fortunate! The calls to mobiles are absolutely rampant this side of the pond. So much so that a few companies are making good money selling software to help alleviate the issue.

Bytegiga 11:50 30 Jan 2020

Had a few different calls of a similar nature. Sometimes several such calls on the same day.

Amazon prime 39.99 About to be arrested for tax evasion £600 card payment BT Microsoft

All scam attempts.

There's another one suppoed to be from Italy, where they want to garner your opinions on pasta. Not sure about that one, but no pint talking to them regardless.

qwbos 15:29 30 Jan 2020

There's another one suppoed to be from Italy, where they want to garner your opinions on pasta.

Tell them you'll write to them as soon as you find your penne ;o)>

Bytegiga 18:55 30 Jan 2020

If the Italian food survey calls are scam attempts, I have no idea what they are trying to achieve. Seems a bizarre thing to do even if it is genuine.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Huawei Mate Xs could’ve been the first great big-screen foldable

Doodler Jon Burgerman has a great body (of work!)

Apple Arcade ain't what it used to be

Test : le Yoga C740 de Lenovo