Hot Topics

Telephone calls re. MasterCard& Visa and BT

hssutton 13:22 23 Jan 2020

Is anyone else getting these calls, for the past 2-3 weeks I'm getting several calls a day

Belatucadrus 13:27 23 Jan 2020

Had them in the past, not too bad at the moment fortunately. The latest ones are from "Amazon" about my Prime renewal, all guff. I block the numbers but as they change them every day or so I don't know if it helps much.

mrgrumpy 17:11 23 Jan 2020

Hello hssutton , A few things to help you , not trying to scare you just trying to help keep you safe.

BANKS... No matter how convincing they sound over the phone NEVER give any personal information , if they try to convince you they are genuine just hang up and contact your bank via the number on the back of your card NEVER ring any number somebody gives to you.

BANK EMAILS …. Never open an email sent to your inbox even if the last few digits quoted on the email header look right. I only open email from my bank that are in my banks online account. The reason I say this is because I use to get email allegedly from my current bank before I became one of their customers.

BOGUS bank calls ….. If they persist in hassling you for information just say if you need to talk to me about my account I will go into my local branch.

Online banking , never log into your bank using a short cut or favorites tab , type the website in fresh everytime , some key logging software sit waiting for you to use a short cut.

B.T. I know what information a genuine call centre might ask. Note most genuine call centre calls are from Scotland. If its India and they want bank details to re-adjust your payments as a loyal customer just say you don't need my details to adjust my account , they will more often than not put the phone down on you. If you have any concerns about genuine/scam calls ring 0800 800 150.

AMAZON ….. They never ring you about prime so just ignore them , if you do have an Amazon account you can go online and see if you have been hacked and put on prime or if you have joined trial prime accidently by rushing a purchase. You can opt out.

FINALLY …….. Very important , if any calls regardless of who they are tell you to press a certain button on your phone DO NOT DO IT ! If you do your phone line ( not your phone ) will be locked for a very long time at premium rate and unplugging your phone will not disconnect you.

Hope you and others find this information useful.

qwbos 19:28 23 Jan 2020

contact your bank via the number on the back of your card

Either use a different phone from the one you've been called on, or prove your line has cleared before using it to call your bank. Scammers can replicate a dial tone very easily.

hssutton 22:08 23 Jan 2020

Oh I'm quite aware what to do, as I've been receiving these calls once or twice a week until recently now I'm getting as many as five a day. If i hear the word BT or Mastercard I just put the phone down, however my wife likes to have a little fun with them.

mrgrumpy 22:34 23 Jan 2020

if I am in a good mood a play along just for fun , if I am in a bad mood DONT RING ME.

Forum Editor 08:12 24 Jan 2020

"if I am in a good mood a play along just for fun , if I am in a bad mood DONT RING ME."

I have never understood that attitude. The best response to unwanted calls is simply to ring off. You achieve nothing by engaging with these people.

Pine Man 08:28 24 Jan 2020

BANK EMAILS …. Never open an email sent to your inbox even if the last few digits quoted on the email header look right

I disagree with this. Most of my banks contact me from time to time by email, usually to notify me that a secure message is waiting, or other matters such as interest changes etc.

Gordon Freeman 08:49 24 Jan 2020

I'd agree with Pineman on that too.

I think the emails are fine, I get security information/changes notification emails occasionally from my bank; with fake/malicious emails though, the problem lies in when they have an attachment (which you should not open) or contains links (which you should not click).

BT 08:50 24 Jan 2020

**BANK EMAILS …. Never open an email sent to your inbox even if the last few digits quoted on the email header look right I disagree with this.**

The most important thing is not to click on any links in the Email!!

Log on to your Online Banking in the normal way and check whether the items mentioned in the Email are correct.

Al94 09:22 24 Jan 2020

Sorry FE but I disagree and if I'm in the mood take perverse enjoyment in engaging with these scammers, wasting their time and winding them up. At least when I'm doing that someone else is being left alone.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

How to draw an eye

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio pas chers (2020)