Hot Topics

We regret to inform you that the PC Advisor Forums are now closed, and you are unable to post new comments or conversations. If you have a question about the forums, please contact us.

Telephone calls re. MasterCard& Visa and BT

Anon-330809 13:22 23 Jan 2020

Is anyone else getting these calls, for the past 2-3 weeks I'm getting several calls a day

Anon-2416588 19:28 23 Jan 2020

contact your bank via the number on the back of your card

Either use a different phone from the one you've been called on, or prove your line has cleared before using it to call your bank. Scammers can replicate a dial tone very easily.

Anon-330809 22:08 23 Jan 2020

Oh I'm quite aware what to do, as I've been receiving these calls once or twice a week until recently now I'm getting as many as five a day. If i hear the word BT or Mastercard I just put the phone down, however my wife likes to have a little fun with them.

Anon-338298 08:12 24 Jan 2020

"if I am in a good mood a play along just for fun , if I am in a bad mood DONT RING ME."

I have never understood that attitude. The best response to unwanted calls is simply to ring off. You achieve nothing by engaging with these people.

Anon-2432433 08:28 24 Jan 2020

BANK EMAILS …. Never open an email sent to your inbox even if the last few digits quoted on the email header look right

I disagree with this. Most of my banks contact me from time to time by email, usually to notify me that a secure message is waiting, or other matters such as interest changes etc.

Anon-2432433 08:49 24 Jan 2020

I'd agree with Pineman on that too.

I think the emails are fine, I get security information/changes notification emails occasionally from my bank; with fake/malicious emails though, the problem lies in when they have an attachment (which you should not open) or contains links (which you should not click).

Anon-337855 08:50 24 Jan 2020

**BANK EMAILS …. Never open an email sent to your inbox even if the last few digits quoted on the email header look right I disagree with this.**

The most important thing is not to click on any links in the Email!!

Log on to your Online Banking in the normal way and check whether the items mentioned in the Email are correct.

Anon-250855 09:22 24 Jan 2020

Sorry FE but I disagree and if I'm in the mood take perverse enjoyment in engaging with these scammers, wasting their time and winding them up. At least when I'm doing that someone else is being left alone.

Anon-2432433 09:54 24 Jan 2020

Guys i think you have misread what i said about bank emails

No we didn't.

You said again, never open them in your inbox , by that i meant the email client you are using.

I say, that is wrong as I get lots of email communications from my banks to my inbox on my email client and they are perfectly safe.

Anon-338298 09:56 24 Jan 2020

"I get lots of email communications from my banks to my inbox on my email client and they are perfectly safe."

Same here.

Anon-2432433 10:18 24 Jan 2020

mrgrumpy - I think you're just confusing everyone, so maybe the best plan for you would be to stop offering 'advice' to others altogether?

I think people on here are sensible enough to know what to do, without your ill thought out, & clumsy contributions.

I'm sure they'll contact you if they have any other emergency, or general, life queries.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware m17 R3 review

Apple iMac 2020 review

'You lied!' Judge slaps down Epic Games in Apple dispute

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs

/forum/speakers-corner-16/telephone-calls-re-mastercardamp-visa-bt-4719077/