Tech Advisor - pages slow to open?

onthelimit1 11:17 23 Sep 2018

Anyone else finding pages on these forums very slow to load? It's been happening to me for some weeks now, but only here. All other websites open almost instantaneously.

Flak999 15:01 24 Sep 2018

This is the only site I visit which has A) such an incredibly poor user experience and B) such long page loading times! There are so many other free to use tech forums out there that one really doesn't need to suffer the frustration of attempting to view and use this site.

It truly is an awful experience! I used to be a regular viewer and contributor here, but it's really not worth the effort of attempting to circumvent the ads and slow page loading. I just go elsewhere.. I know all the boring hackneyed old arguments about site revenue, but if other sites can host forums without these problems why not here?

MPN1A 18:43 24 Sep 2018

It usually takes six seconds for a page change but tonight and last night it changed immediately.

Matt Egan 09:03 25 Sep 2018

Thanks for the thread and the thoughtful comments on it. We are under no illusions that the user experience is ideal here. The honest truth is that as an advertiser-supported website our challenge with Tech Advisor is to balance user experience with commercial need. No doubt we get that balance wrong. We are working on two major technical upgrades (one for 2019 and one for early 2020) that should help us get a lot better. And in the mean time be assured that I have shared this thread with all the relevant parties so that we can make what adjustments we can. We know we need to improve site speed, and we thank your for your patience and for bringing it to our attention.

Matt Egan, Editorial Director, IDG

alanrwood 09:15 25 Sep 2018

Don't have any problems with this site.

wee eddie 09:19 25 Sep 2018

Thanks Matt. There has always been a problem with Metropolitan Wizz Kids (not necessarily all youngsters), designing Adverts that work beautifully on their Gigabyte Rich Systems, but cause our plodding systems, to clog up.

Perhaps one should suggest to them that, had we a system like theirs we would not be here. They should bare in mind that we need the latest equipment, and don't have it yet.

onthelimit1 15:11 26 Sep 2018

Matt. Thanks for reply - I'm lucky that a few seconds here or there are of little consequence, but I find the varying performance of websites interesting.

onthelimit1 11:51 11 Jan 2019

All of a sudden, pages are opening like lightening - what's changed, I wonder.

Old Deuteronomy 12:22 11 Jan 2019

All of a sudden, pages are opening like lightening - what's changed, I wonder.

The same here, for the first time in many months.

Toneman 14:23 11 Jan 2019

I could do without that annoying video ad on the right of the screen,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:39 11 Jan 2019

adblockplus add on in you browser will stop it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare preview

Nexus Studios on how to make the perfect animation showreel and portfolio

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Apple Watch Series 5 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs