Syria/Turkey Row

morddwyd 13:45 24 Jun 2012

Turkey has asked for a NATO meeting.

Am I being particularly cynical in thinking that perhaps Turkey has been persuaded to be very provocative so that NATO can get some more weapons practice in against Muslims?

Condom 16:43 24 Jun 2012

Personally I think we need another war... CNN and all the other 24 hour NEWS channels are so boring these days...:-)

And just in case some people don't see the smiler I do have my tongue firmly in my cheek.

Forum Editor 16:58 24 Jun 2012

woody

"With a risk that FE will mention something else recent like the Romans...."

Why would I do that?

john bunyan 18:02 24 Jun 2012

Turkey also regularly over flies Cyprus, and has jets based there. There has been tension between the Greek and Turkish parts of Cyprus for years, and recently there is a row over oil drilling. The Israelis have also sent aircraft into the area see: Israeli - Turkish aircraft. The airspace in those parts is a bit confused to say the least, and the downing of the Turkish aircraft is to be discussed at a NATO meeting soon. Some diplomatic pressure is being applied - the Syrian general i/c their Olympic team is being refused a visa. Visa - a bit tame compared with the abuse in that country but I see little appetite for military intervention by the west. I wonder why Saudi has such a big defence force but never seems to use it (except when the King of Bahrain needed help). The Arab league always seems to want the west to intervene rather than themselves.

morddwyd 20:31 24 Jun 2012

"I think you'll find that Turkey is a Muslim country!"

I think you'll find that Turkey is, in fact, a secular country, and they guard very closely against Muslims actually controlling government.

However, the major re;religion in Turkey is Islam, and that is all to the good.

As in Libya, it is always best if you are killing Muslims at the request of other Muslims.

morddwyd 20:34 24 Jun 2012

"We British, are heartily sick of trying to help other countries who should be left to their own fate. "

Please don't include me in that statement.

Personally I am very proud of the way the UK has paid , and continues to pay, great sacrifices in support of the UN in trying to make the world a slightly better place.

We may not be succeeding, but at ;least we are trying.

Forum Editor 22:47 24 Jun 2012

"We British, are heartily sick of trying to help other countries who should be left to their own fate."

Well you might be, but thankfully you don't speak for all of us. I would be ashamed to belong to a rich and powerful nation (yes, in comparative terms we are still both) that simply stood back and left people like ordinary Syrians "to their own fate" without saying a word.

Our options in this particular case are limited, but we're doing what we can in diplomatic circles, and that's better than the callous response you're advocating.

spuds 12:16 25 Jun 2012

One thing that I am very surprised about, is how this Syrian subject hasn't been brought up previously (unless it slipped my attention within the forum), when children were being killed.

Yet a little spat with Turkey seems to have?.

Perhaps the next spat might be with Greece and Cyprus?.

daz60 13:03 25 Jun 2012

Turkey have the response it needs to pursue its own agenda using the Kurdish problem as pretext.I think a qualitative NATO response to its member will increase tensions and though diplomacy may proceed ,for public consumption, a militiaristic strategy seems to be the only outcome both as regards to this crisis as well as Syria itself.

Why have the west been silent on Turkeys bombing of Kurdish villages ? if only because they are an ally in the war against terror.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Sword and Shield preview

Best Office Chairs for the Studio and Home

macOS Catalina Preview: First look at the new Mac update

Que faire si votre iPad ne se charge pas ?