Switching to Bulb energy soon

martd7 12:17 30 Aug 2019

Anyone here with Bulb energy? Think I have seen some posts I am moving to Bulb for Gas prepay and Electric,Debit meter.

Has anybody had any issues with them?

Pine Man 08:37 31 Aug 2019

I had a look a while back and was put off by reports that they had made huge losses in excess of £23 million. They may turn out to be another small suppier that goes bust.

Safer to stick with one of the bigger suppliers who, despite Bulbs adverts, will provide you with exactly the same power.

Old Deuteronomy 10:52 31 Aug 2019

Been with Bulb since January and no issues so far.

martd7 11:49 31 Aug 2019

Thanks I was with Brilliant energy but they went bust,Ofgem moved me to SSE who immediately put my £27 electric bill up to £40,despite me giving several readings and i was £30 in credit

Have decided to give Bulb a go,really good on phone informed me of tariffs and how long to change over

Quickbeam 19:15 31 Aug 2019

I've been with Bulb for nearly two years. i might change when it comes up for review soon if there's a better deal.

They claim to be 100% green, so the house smells fresher... Apparently.

Menzie 20:42 31 Aug 2019

Out of curiosity what happens when your power company goes bust? Here we just have one company that provides Electricity and one that provides Natural Gas.

The lack of competition means that the bills are ridiculous.

Brian Hamilton 23:17 31 Aug 2019

Not that much different here, its an Oligopoly market.

Pine Man 07:39 01 Sep 2019

what happens when your power company goes bust?

Ofgem has a 'safety net' process which means they will pass on your supply to another supplier. This new supplier is known as a supplier of last resort (SoLR).

They claim to be 100% green, so the house smells fresher... Apparently.

This is what their web site says: We provide our members with 100% renewable electricity from solar, wind and hydro. Plus, our gas is 100% carbon neutral.

........which is, of course, absolute tosh unless they also provide their own pipe and cable direct to your house. Otherwise you get exactly the same stuff as everybody else.

martd7 13:48 01 Sep 2019

Pineman

I haven't switched to Bulb for Green energy,for price alone

Menzie 15:12 01 Sep 2019

Ofgem has a 'safety net' process which means they will pass on your supply to another supplier. This new supplier is known as a supplier of last resort (SoLR).

Okay, that clears it up. I'm not sure what would happen here if our power company had issues. Most likely I'm guessing the government would bail them out to keep things going.

I cannot remember what Power Supply company my Mother is with in Britain, but I am quite sure it is one of the smaller companies.

Pine Man 17:38 01 Sep 2019

I haven't switched to Bulb for Green energy,for price alone

That post wasn't in response to your initial post but in reply to QBs comment about Bulbs claim of being 100% green.

Cost is most important as far as I am concerned and if you've got a cheap deal - great!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Stadia review

When 12 countries take on the same brief in a globalised world

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2019)