Surprising reply from energy co re smart meters

bumpkin 16:02 01 Mar 2017

I want to change my energy tariff with my supplier (one of the big ones) as my existing one ends this month. What surprised me was that they wanted the meter readings when I have a "smart meter". When I queried this I was told that they do not have the technology installed for smart meters. Can this be true.

Flak999 16:22 01 Mar 2017

I have also heard that if you get a smart meter one companies meters are not compatible with anothers and you have to change smart meters! If true this seems crazy!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 01 Mar 2017

one companies meters are not compatible with anothers - true another company cannot read those meters remotely but the "smart" bit showing you your usage should still work.

Forum Editor 16:30 01 Mar 2017

"the "smart" bit showing you your usage should still work."

Yes, it should.

wee eddie 19:32 01 Mar 2017

Smart Meters are currently a concept that has yet to be proven and developed to a level where they are universally compatible and are, to my mind anyway, not yet fit for purpose.

In other words, using the word "Smart" is an abomination and should be referred to a Court of Law under the "Trades Description Act".

wee eddie 19:51 01 Mar 2017

I think that Companies, who make use of an inaccurate description to promote their product should be required either, to remove that description or, if it is the "registered" name of that product, then a rider should accompany every mention of the name, qualifying the name.

I know that a good few products would be caught with such legislation, but fewer people would be enticed into buying products whose name suggests something other than they are.

Quickbeam 02:54 02 Mar 2017

Do many people actually look at the usage on the smart meter. I just use the energy and pay the bill. I don't waste energy, but I can't be bothered to look at it!

oresome 09:25 02 Mar 2017

I assume that once communication is lost with the original supplying company, the smart meter won't know the new tariff. You might be able to see the consumption in kilowatts or whatever, but will have to work out the cost yourself.

oresome 09:39 02 Mar 2017

Do many people actually look at the usage on the smart meter. I just use the energy and pay the bill. I don't waste energy, but I can't be bothered to look at it!

I think the ultimate aim is to introduce complex tariffs to change our lifestyles and even out energy usage for the generating companies. You may get a reduced rate for cooking dinner earlier or later for example and they may penalise you for putting the kettle on during advert breaks!

wee eddie 12:30 02 Mar 2017

oresom: you are a cynical old "B"

bumpkin 13:08 02 Mar 2017

I was told by my supplier that if I changed companies then the existing meters would not be readable. Fine but according to them they cannot read them either!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple