That Summer Feeling Of Being Outdoors

Menzie 12:57 03 Jul 2019

Now that summer is upon us everyone it seems wants to be outside. I've had calls and texts inviting me to events such as carnival and Ribfest.

I've noticed over the last few years however I just don't like being in such events. I've gotten to a point now where being in a crowd outside on a sweltering day sounds truly awful.

I prefer being indoors in the comfort of my air conditioning watching a good movie. Or if I go outside sitting in a quiet garden and reading a book.

When in school summer was magical, that long period of no school. The family holiday and the day trips out. It all seems a distant memory now.

How do you all spend your summer? Anything special or is it just another season to you?

Govan1x 12:36 04 Jul 2019

No but still finding lots of things not to do.

Menzie 12:44 04 Jul 2019

Can we swap? I am at work about to start my day. It's 31 degrees outside today and I'm in a warehouse with a metal roof.

Mercifully we do have air conditioning.

Govan1x 12:45 04 Jul 2019

Hank junior has it spot on. I'm just lucky I have velcro on my shoes and not laces.

I sometimes have a break at watching the clock and have a look at my watch instead.it breaks up the day.

I Don't think Hank jnr is a patch on his old boy. But a hard song to feel jolly about.

Govan1x 13:16 04 Jul 2019

Menzie

Finding lots of things not to do. Think your job would be one of them.

Things we used to be able to do and now we cant is a bad feeling. We try then we know not to try again.

Everyone says they are looking forward to retiring, that is not so easy. You find that you would miss work and would like to go back even part time.

Then of course you don't really retire you still have the gardening. The painting and decorating the shopping. The dishes. the cleaning the cooking and so on to do. But you can get longer holidays without pay.

its not all that it is cracked up to be.

john bunyan 13:59 04 Jul 2019

I am lucky to have a fairly large house and garden and a 26 year old granddaughter who has gone back to uni. She rents a little house with a boyfriend who has few tools. I seem to work very long hours on maintenance, gardening, DIY , shopping etc. Hardly have time to go fishing! Seem to be as busy as when at work, where I used to do about 60 hours a week plus at one time going off at weekends with a Reserve military unit. Maybe we should downsize but I can’t face the hassle.

Many people are not lucky enough to have a good pension, as , even if a mortgage is paid off, it is quite expensive in retirement

Haddince 15:37 04 Jul 2019

Summer was magical as a kid. Now it just passes me by... couldn't be bothered to get out.

Forum Editor 19:38 04 Jul 2019

I enjoy my garden (and gardening), my wife and I take country walks, I go fishing more often, and generally spend as much time in the open air as possible. All pretty mundane, but highly enjoyable.

I'm with you on the crowded places thing - can't stand crowds at any time of the year.

oresome 21:06 04 Jul 2019

I left school with few qualifications and couldn't face the thought of being cooped up in an office or factory environment, so I made a point of getting a job outdoors.

By and large I've spent most of my working life in the 'field' and have not regretted one moment of it. My dream job often involved visiting hilltop radio transmitter sites many of which were located in beautiful countryside locations whatever the season.

I did become office based in my mid forties, but with a good degree of freedom, by which time the urge to be outdoors had waned.

lotvic 23:14 04 Jul 2019

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Murugiah: Musings on movies, mental health and Miles Morales from the young master

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones pas chers (2019)