Hot Topics

Suggestions to FE and team

john bunyan 21:15 13 Jul 2019

We seem to be seeing a lot of spam from first time posters. Couldn’t the site team somehow have an algorithm that detects first time posters? Of course we need new people but there should be some sort of filter. Not sure how!!

wee eddie 22:38 13 Jul 2019

I don't really see it as a problem

Govan1x 00:01 14 Jul 2019

Some of them add a click here that leads to a dodgy site.

So I agree with JB. Stop them before they can cause damage would be the best way. But almost impossible to do I would imagine.

Old Deuteronomy 09:57 14 Jul 2019

Stop first time posters and it will be the death of this forum, as existing members drift away and new members are turned away.

morddwyd 10:12 14 Jul 2019

I'm with Wee Eddie.

I don't see it as a problem.

Govan1x 19:50 14 Jul 2019

Spammers do not bother me that much but on the other hand they should not be allowed on here to peddle their wares without paying their dues.

it is the spammers that lead you to dodgy sites that is the main problem. They get paid for promoting those sites and we might well have our computers compromised by them.

i think PCA run a good and fair site and delete the most obvious spammers as soon as the can.. just think how bad this site could be if spammers were allowed to run riot.

A nice smooth running Forum is what we want and that is what we normally get. But there has been an influx of spammers lately and we do not need them.

morddwyd 21:08 14 Jul 2019

whirlinground (not sure if that's the name as I can't read it)

There is a small anonymous band who report suspected spam to the FE as soon as they see it.

Such a button as you suggest would not speed things up much.

Forum Editor 23:18 14 Jul 2019

algorithms to detect first time posters wouldn't really help - being a first time poster doesn't mean you're a spammer.

Spam posts have always been reported to me pretty quickly, and I delete them as soon as I confirm that I agree. Sometimes it takes a day or so for various reasons (I've been traveling for the last three days), but on thew whole our system works very well; we're not awash with spam, as are some other forums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

For Microsoft, 2020 is a year of profound change

Design Museum's From Kraftwerk to The Chemical Brothers show to finally open

EvilQuest malware 'is after your data, not your money'

Les meilleurs SSD (2020)