strange looking bird seen in my garden

bumpkin 19:21 19 Mar 2018

It was first seen by my daughter who asked me what it was. My nearest guess was a pheasant. It stayed for about 4 hrs and if approached ran off rather than flying. By posting photos and doing some research she identified it as a Red Legged Partridge. Not the sort of thing I see everyday.

tonyx1302 07:03 21 Mar 2018

Any thoughts anyone please ? Tony

morddwyd 09:03 21 Mar 2018

Thoughts on what?

bumpkin 20:45 21 Mar 2018

Never had a deer in my garden but I did have a horse once, not the easiest thing to deal with.

john bunyan 21:03 21 Mar 2018

We get deer sometimes- a pain as they eat plants near the house at night. We try to deter them with ultrasound devices but they don’t allways work , nor does chilli powder . Used to have badgers but not seen for years - have foxes that poo on the grass. Hedgehogs come most nights when not hibernating- adopted 3 more last year. Seen many birds but not the OP’s one

Belatucadrus 21:08 21 Mar 2018

We get Muntjac quite regularly, badgers come most nights and they always travel the same route, the paths of flattened grass show which way they come and go. Foxes are infrequent visitors, they're far more wary than their urban cousins. Hedgehogs I haven't seen one for many years, probably the increased badger population. The squirrels stand on the windowsills and bang on the glass if we don't feed them.

bumpkin 23:37 21 Mar 2018

Lots of muntjacs around but none in my garden, they seem to prefer leaping onto a dual carriageway to test my test my emergency stop abilities, just as well I didn't have a Range Rover or BMW tailgating at the time.

morddwyd 19:49 22 Mar 2018

I was thinking more of wild deer like red, rather than the semi-tame orhamentals 'like muntjak, sika and roe.

bumpkin 20:23 22 Mar 2018

I was thinking more of wild deer like red, rather than the semi-tame orhamentals 'like muntjak, sika and roe.

Are you having a giraffe:-)

Belatucadrus 20:33 22 Mar 2018

Believe me they're quite wild, many generations since their ancestors escaped from Woburn park and they weren't there long enough to domesticate.

morddwyd 09:17 23 Mar 2018

They are only wild in the sense that mallard and peafowl are wild. They have little fear of man and on most estates they can be handfed, even in the New Forest they can be approached, more than the ponies in some cases.

Try getting within a mile of an unconfined red!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Razer Blade Pro 17 review

Enter graphic design heaven with these vintage Japanese posters

When is the next Apple event, and what should we expect?

Les meilleures applications pour Android (2019)