Hot Topics

Statins - a good or bad thing ?

flycatcher1 20:20 27 Oct 2014

I have been asked to make an appointment to see my Doctor to discuss the prescribing of Statins.

I have read of many side affects and Doctors with valued opinions appear to dismiss there use except in extreme situations. eg after a heart attack or when Cholesterol are extremely high. These factors do not apply to me my Ch. reading is 4.9.

Any advice or information on the subject would be appreciated ?

HondaMan 19:28 13 Feb 2015

I am on Simvastatin and have been for about 10 years. No obvious side effects, but I do have some joint pain, but that could be due to age!

flycatcher1 19:41 14 Feb 2015

Flak999 May I ask if your 2.8 came quickly or did the figure reduce over a long time ? I was surprised that mine went down so much in three months considering I was on the minimum dose.

flycatcher1 11:29 16 Feb 2015

Flak999 Thanks for the answer. From what one reads you are the perfect candidate for the statin treatment. Hope that they are beneficial to you for a long, long time.

There is still varied medical opinion about the use of statins but having started with them and no apparent side effects and a good reduction in Cholesterol I intend to continue.

hssutton 09:33 21 Feb 2015

A little late in responding to this thread, but I stopped taking simvastatin some time ago as I was experiencing a grest deal of muscle pain. The main reason for this post is this report in the 'Mail'Have benefits of statins been exaggerated?

amonra 09:40 21 Feb 2015

HS Sutton, I'm with you on that. I have tried statins a few times, various strengths, but each time I end up with aching joints and cramps. They reduced my levels BUT, the side effects were too much.

Joseph Kerr 00:34 24 Feb 2015

I'm with gigagiggles.

Joseph Kerr 12:31 24 Mar 2015

Have a look at these. And no, PCA, it isn't spam just because it contains links/a YouTube link, despite what you think.

click here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chUjOUQdIio

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Trump issues executive orders to restrict TikTok and WeChat in the US

Yuke Li's 'pencil' drawings are entirely digital

Apple Breakfast: New iMacs on sale now!

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2020)