Hot Topics

Statins - a good or bad thing ?

flycatcher1 20:20 27 Oct 2014

I have been asked to make an appointment to see my Doctor to discuss the prescribing of Statins.

I have read of many side affects and Doctors with valued opinions appear to dismiss there use except in extreme situations. eg after a heart attack or when Cholesterol are extremely high. These factors do not apply to me my Ch. reading is 4.9.

Any advice or information on the subject would be appreciated ?

wee eddie 10:36 17 Nov 2014

Is Simvastatin a placebo?

Look at the name Sim(ulated) Statin

spuds 11:41 17 Nov 2014

Agree with others, my GP's and consultant say take Statins last thing at night.

You should also have a fixed time scale for tests. Mine was 6 monthly, now 12 months.

Joseph Kerr 11:23 03 Dec 2014

Right. Sorry to bump this but I wanted to reply ages ago but, well, circumstances.

Statins worry me greatly and I am saddened, at best, to think of anyone close to me taking them.

When you look at the data any perspective but that of an industry bod or over-worked, unquestioning Dr, you see that they only improve outcomes in men over 65 (I think) who have already had a "cardiac event".

Drug companies routinely write favourable papers and have "experts" retrospectively put their name to them, and people who suffer side effects are routinely removed from the studies.

Even if side effects are minor, do you really want them when you will, in all likelihood, reap little to no benefit?

Cholesterol is an essential substance without which cells die. A person without cholesterol is a cadaver. In many studies, low cholesterol is associated with negative health outcomes.

Statins do work in a tiny number of people, but they have something like 30 effects other than cholesterol lowering, and we have simply decided, in keeping with the dogma, that this is the reason they occasionally work.

For further information, a couple of good starting points are:

click here

click here

The video is pretty technical but only medium duration. I was looking for a video on drug company shenanigans that I saw a few weeks ago but I can't find it as yet. I'll post it if I find it.

I've gone on a bit, but really feel I've said the minimum I could. The point, anyway, was to direct you to better sources than myself. So I'll leave it there.

spuds 11:53 03 Dec 2014

"you see that they only improve outcomes in men over 65 (I think) who have already had a "cardiac event"."

The problem there might seem, that some elderly people or even younger supposedly fit people have "cardiac event" without realising or ignoring it. From my own experiences, I visited the GP to collect repeat prescriptions on two occasions, and merely talking to the receptionist that I had "slight heartburn pain", the receptionist arranged an emergency there and then appointment with a GP. Results from those two events, a ECG, told that an ambulance had been called, given aspirin "because I had had a slight heart attack or was due to have one at any moment". The rest I suppose is history.

Through that outcome, I have had changes in medication, even to the point of two senior level consultant's and GP's 'respectfully' arguing among themselves, as to what medication is good or bad for me, regarding the different medical conditions that I now have. Its took two years for the heart consultant and GP to agree that I should not be on aspirin, and should be on an alternative, something that a digestive disease consultant as been stating all along.

If you cannot believe or understand experts, who can you believe!.

Joseph Kerr 12:08 03 Dec 2014

You may have been lucky, spuds, they may have actually known a thing or two.

I've had a lot of acid indigestion in the past. I've even had the kind of indigestion one might mistake for a heart attack. Indeed, maybe it was. But I'm not sure what that means...

Joseph Kerr 12:26 03 Dec 2014

I forgot to mention that the majority - 80%-ish) of the cholesterol in your blood is made by your body and not from dietary cholesterol. If our bodies did not then regulate things in such a way that we need to make less of it if we eat more of it, that would be an exception to almost (perhaps actually) any other biochemical process.

Joseph Kerr 12:30 03 Dec 2014

click here

I think this is what I was looking for. That's it from me for a bit. Probably.

flycatcher1 23:09 03 Dec 2014

Three weeks on statins - no side affects- will carry on for three months and then get another Cholesterol check.

flycatcher1 19:32 12 Feb 2015

I have now completed three months on statins with no discernible side effects. My reading has gone down from 4.9 to 3.5 which seems good to me. I do not like taking pills but, equally, I am not going to spit into wind.

john bunyan 08:18 13 Feb 2015

flycatcher1

Same here! Same readings - I have been on them for about 8 years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Trump issues executive orders to restrict TikTok and WeChat in the US

Yuke Li's 'pencil' drawings are entirely digital

Apple Breakfast: New iMacs on sale now!

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2020)