Hot Topics

Statins - a good or bad thing ?

flycatcher1 20:20 27 Oct 2014

I have been asked to make an appointment to see my Doctor to discuss the prescribing of Statins.

I have read of many side affects and Doctors with valued opinions appear to dismiss there use except in extreme situations. eg after a heart attack or when Cholesterol are extremely high. These factors do not apply to me my Ch. reading is 4.9.

Any advice or information on the subject would be appreciated ?

flycatcher1 22:23 14 Nov 2014

morddwyd. I have never been one for sticking to the rules so I should be OK. My research has indicated that severe side effects are rare but, when they do occur, can be very nasty.

mrwoowoo 00:14 15 Nov 2014

Been on atorvastatin for 9 years after a heart bypass. Suffered from muscle weakness, aching muscles as well as an aching back, and spasms. So much so that after a night shift I would take almost an hour to settle in bed due to my aching lower back muscle problems. I was going to stop taking them, but a year ago I cut down from one 20mg tablet a day to taking it every other day. Whithin 2 weeks the difference was night, and day. Now, after A night shift I can settle down straight away. I was also having a fair bit of time off work each year due to back muscle pulls/spasms, but have not had any time off in a year.

spuds 11:27 15 Nov 2014

mrwoowoo

A very fair comment, something that I will be taking up shortly with my GP and consultant. My daily statin intake was reduced a short time ago, but so far I see no evidence that change as made any difference. I was on prescribed pain killers, but due to a stomach problem, this medication was discontinued to a lesser form of pain killer which just isn't working.

I am still of the opinion that mixing various medication, can bring more surprises than actual help in some cases.

wee eddie 16:11 15 Nov 2014

I've now been on Simvastatin for almost a month.

No side effects to report.

mrwoowoo 23:12 15 Nov 2014

spuds

As I said, I take one 20 mg tablet every other day. I don't know if that has the same effect as taking one 10 mg tablet each day or not. Also, does it stop it doing it's job totally by missing a day? I have no idea, and don't really care as I feel much better. My Cholesterol level was below 5 to start with, and since there are varied opinions to the pros and cons of statins I'll stay as I am.

namtas 23:31 15 Nov 2014

I have no idea,but I am told that they should be taken in the late evening

flycatcher1 21:11 16 Nov 2014

My instructions say that the medication can be taken at any time during the day but the Dr. prescribes one at night. Smallest pills I have ever seen but little is often good.

wee eddie 00:14 17 Nov 2014

My Doctor said, "just before bed"

BT 07:53 17 Nov 2014

I am told that they should be taken in the late evening

The reason is that your body produces most Cholesterol during the night

Statins

morddwyd 08:30 17 Nov 2014

If you get them in the cardiac ward you get them last thing at night.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Trump issues executive orders to restrict TikTok and WeChat in the US

Yuke Li's 'pencil' drawings are entirely digital

Apple Breakfast: New iMacs on sale now!

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2020)