Hot Topics

Statins - a good or bad thing ?

flycatcher1 20:20 27 Oct 2014

I have been asked to make an appointment to see my Doctor to discuss the prescribing of Statins.

I have read of many side affects and Doctors with valued opinions appear to dismiss there use except in extreme situations. eg after a heart attack or when Cholesterol are extremely high. These factors do not apply to me my Ch. reading is 4.9.

Any advice or information on the subject would be appreciated ?

flycatcher1 22:47 28 Oct 2014

Again, many thanks for helpful comments.

A194 that drop in Ch. is really something.

Carver I understand what you are saying but I agree with wee eddie on this one. The Doctor has asked me to go in to see her. She is not my regular MO - mine is on Maternity Leave.

I was slow to put this Topic onto the Forum because I have taken some interest in the subject but no one that I know is taking Statins. I do not know anyone on this Forum personally (I have a vague recollection of the FE when he was a lad) but I feel that I can trust the comments of its members. All I was interested in was comments about people who have taken Statins and their experiences with possible side effects. I have been well rewarded with the information provided but I will decide on the medication that I will take under the guidance of my GP.

Just for the record I am a shade off 85, I had my tonsils out in 1937, when Churchill was being buried I was in agony with Kidney Stones in the BMH at Tripoli. I passed a couple of stones had no more trouble having taken the Medical Advice to move from spirits to beer. I had a rodent ulcer removed a couple of months ago. BP 142/68/81.

wee eddie 23:06 28 Oct 2014

Good Man - almost 15 years older than me.

With you as my example I shall look forward to the next 15 and, with any luck, still be dropping into the forum, when it suits, that is.

morddwyd 07:26 29 Oct 2014

"having taken the Medical Advice to move from spirits to beer."

Funnily enough I am exactly the opposite, having developed an allergy to beer I was told to switch to spirits, ideally colourless ones like gin, vodka, Bacardi.

Don't suppose you had any more success than me at getting a prescription though!

mole1944 07:55 29 Oct 2014

My pennyworth, i used to take simvastatin i was one of those who had a very bad reaction to it i'm 70.i got pain in legs (Still there),depression,memory loss,mood swings,i took myself of them myself doctor said i should be on them, basically told him where to put this dangerous (In my opinion) medication he wasn't happy. for the depression he gave me prosac,i'm supposed to take heart medication but i don't i just think some doctors prescribe cos they know no better and it gives patients a feeling the doctors doing something for you.Sorry that was sixpence worth

onthelimit1 08:35 29 Oct 2014

Approaching 70, my GP, during my last 6monthly check, suggested statins (cholesterol 5.0). He gave me the pros and cons in depth. I finally asked him what he would do in my situation - 'not take them', he said, so I don't !

spuds 10:58 29 Oct 2014

'not take them', he said, so I don't !

And that is probably why there are always a number of different opinions in the medical field. Whether this is through the 'medic' own preference, knowledge or perhaps not being up to speed with medical science. The public rely on this information, but at times it can become very difficult to understand or even obey what is best for you.

In my own situation, I have two medical consultant Professor's who are classed as perhaps the best in their field at the local hospital's and beyond, plus GP's who are arguing (respectfully) among themselves as to what is best for me, and for the medical conditions that I have.

What perhaps baffles me the most, and no doubt similar people in the same frame of mind, is whether one drug is causing more harm within a combination of other drugs, so the end results are actually defeating themselves.

The other point is the actual costs of some of these drugs. I have a situation where the chemist I use on a regular basis, uses generic drugs on an ever increasing scale. Which sometimes due to demand leaves shortages in the market, with the possibility that the prescription cannot be completed in full, until other supplies are obtained from various sources.

Just my opinion, but it does make one think, what is the future going to bring, especially with the health service we once knew from its original foundations all those years ago, and the cradle to grave care.

BT 12:47 29 Oct 2014

The other point is the actual costs of some of these drugs. I have a situation where the chemist I use on a regular basis, uses generic drugs on an ever increasing scale

The cost of drugs is a serious consideration as is other supplies. My GP practice recently changed all the Blood Sugar meters for home use to a different brand as the strips were 50% cheaper. The manufacturers of these meters give them away free through the GP whereas they cost about £15 - £20 to purchase retail. They make their money on the strips, about £15 per box of 50 to your GPs practice through the prescription and probably £20 to buy over the counter.

Drugs still under Patent are expensive till the patent runs out and they can go Generic. Witness Nurofen which cost £3-£4 when it was new, and now you can buy generic Ibuprofen for 30p a box. I had some Antiretrovirals for shingles a couple of years ago and they were listed at £52 for the course. I think all my prescriptions are now Generic.

spuds 13:08 29 Oct 2014

"Drugs still under Patent are expensive till the patent runs out and they can go Generic. Witness Nurofen which cost £3-£4 when it was new, and now you can buy generic Ibuprofen for 30p a box"

I look for the 'PL' number on 'off the shelf' medication, and compare it with the likes of 'store's own brand labels, and that of old fashion well known named branded items. Why pay in excess, when you can purchase the same product for a much far cheaper price (300% plus in some cases perhaps). But having said that, there are still people who insist the the higher value item is the best. A bit like seeing someone in front of you at Asda, Aldi, Tesco etc and loading their shopping in a M&S or Harrods bag's for the neighbours to see. It really makes you wonder!.

Aitchbee 20:17 31 Oct 2014

If statins are worth their salt, then they should be included [ in a small amount] in/to the long list of additives to the foods that everyone consumes.

... like wot fluorine is added to the water we drink - to toughen-up our nashers!

BT 08:36 01 Nov 2014

If statins are worth their salt, then they should be included [ in a small amount] in/to the long list of additives to the foods that everyone consumes.

I can see your point but it wouldn't be popular apart from not being suitable for everyone.

Many years ago when I worked for Spillers it was suggested by the Health Dept. that Vitamin D should be added to Chuppatti flour as Asian people were generally suffering from Vitamin D deficiencies. Unfortunately this proved virtually impossible due to the minute amounts required and the difficulty in adding it accurately, as an excess can be dangerous. So eventually the idea was scrapped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Trump issues executive orders to restrict TikTok and WeChat in the US

Yuke Li's 'pencil' drawings are entirely digital

Apple Breakfast: New iMacs on sale now!

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2020)