Stamp Duty on House Sales

oresome 10:41 18 Aug 2019

There is talk of this being transferred from purchaser to seller, but won't the seller simply raise the price to compensate?

Suspending reality for a moment and assuming sale prices don't increase and tax rates stay similar, who would benefit? Those that are upgrading will pay less duty on the sale of their lower priced property while those downgrading will pay more.

I suppose it could be argued that the down graders are releasing equity and are best placed to take the tax hit.

wee eddie 10:57 18 Aug 2019

I always thought that the price of a House was dictated by the Buyers, in todays market.

Of course, I'm assuming that there will be more than one buyer, the highest offer is usually accepted. If no offer reaches the Seller's expectation, the Property is removed from the market until a later date.

Pine Man 11:12 18 Aug 2019

If they did do this how would they cater for a house bought under the old system?

On introduction those who owned houses would have paid stamp duty when they purchased them and when they came to sell them under the new scheme they would pay again!!

HondaMan 11:22 18 Aug 2019

Property is removed from the market until a later date. Not always possible if the move is work dictated

wee eddie 13:15 18 Aug 2019

HondaMan: Then they would need to accept the highest offer. Little change there then

oresome 14:12 18 Aug 2019

Looking into this a little further, I see there is now stamp duty relief for first time buyers meaning they pay no duty on purchases up to £300K in England and N.I. with additional relief available in expensive locations like London.

I can't imagine this relief being extended to sellers, should they be required to pay the duty and the sale is to a first time buyer.

BT 09:02 19 Aug 2019

FAKE NEWS

According to BBC this morning

Pine Man 11:05 19 Aug 2019
  oresome 15:37 19 Aug 2019

Try this link

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)