Sporting sponsorships

simonjary 06:59 29 Mar 2012
Answered

Chelsea are sponsored by Samsung, and were once by Commodore and again by Amiga. Man Utd were once by Sharp, and recently got some money from Epson.

What other sporting sponsorships by tech companies can you remember?

john bunyan 09:50 29 Mar 2012
  Condom 11:50 29 Mar 2012

If I remember correctly for many years now the big two in Glasgow have been sponsored by brewers, firstly MCEwans and now Tennants. I have no real idea why both sign with the same sponsor

bremner 12:20 29 Mar 2012
Answer

Acer, Samsung and Panasonic are London Olympics sponsors.

Canon, Orange and Sharp are sponsors for the European Football Championship Finals this summer.

IBM is sponsoring this years Masters (Golf) starting next week.

Orange sponsored the recent African Cup of Nations (Football)

Sony are one of the sponsors for the 2014 Football World Cup

Proclaimer 14:10 29 Mar 2012

I have no real idea why both sign with the same sponsor

They both sign the same sponsor because of the rivalry between the two teams. Whether that is to discourage one set of fans boycotting or otherwise causing mischief to the other sponsors product/company I do not know. But I suspect it makes economic sense to the sponsor to sponsor both and I suspect that it avoids trouble.

The fans really will not buy from a company if they sponsor the opposition.

simonjary 14:24 29 Mar 2012

Many forum users will be interested in the sponsors of Charlton Athletic 1998-2000.

anskyber 14:49 29 Mar 2012

I didn't realise that so many of the 17,406 average gate at CA were members here.

Aitchbee 14:50 29 Mar 2012

Nice link simonjary...buttons on men's casual tops are now the 'IN' thing...so I've been told.

BT are also a big name in Sport's sponsorship...Hampden Park, in Glasgow is a good example.

Condom 15:36 29 Mar 2012

Proclaimer

As much as I see the logic behind what you say I can't really believe that people would change their drinking habits because of a football team. They never used to have the same sponsors and the only trouble I ever recall was when Celtic were sponsored by a car dealership who just happened to have a dealership right next door to Ibrox and the green and white flags which the dealership tried to fly didn't go down too well on match days.

simonjary 17:12 29 Mar 2012

OK, I took the afternoon off work and ended up digging a bit deeper into tech firms sponsoring football and sport.

Forum Editor 18:32 29 Mar 2012

Before sponsoring Wimbledon Elonex computers sponsored Southend Football club.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

Procreate 5 launches with the world’s biggest brush library – hands-on and specs for the 2019 update

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !