Spend 'em or lose 'em, maybe

canarieslover 18:45 08 Mar 2010

If you have a stack of old £20 notes under the mattress you had better get spending them. They cease to be legal tender on 30th June.
click here

Paddylad 19:28 08 Mar 2010

No chance, my wife turns the mattress once a week.

canarieslover 19:52 08 Mar 2010

Hope she lets you get out of bed first!!!

Devil Fish 23:26 08 Mar 2010

or you could take them to the bank exchange them for new ones and stick them under your matress

BT 08:28 09 Mar 2010

I was wondering when this would happen.
The last time there was a new note the change over period was quite short, only a few months, and I got caught with about £300 'under the mattress' as it were. Bank changed them with no problems.

I don't keep all my money under the mattress by the way, it would be too near the ceiling ;-)).

I just keep about £300 in cash for emergencies.

Quickbeam 08:38 09 Mar 2010

I'll take any amount off your hands for a tenner a piece... just use the yellow envelope;)

morddwyd 08:48 09 Mar 2010

I suppose it must happen much the same, but I don't recall any such advice for notes in Scotland.

We even still have £1 notes.

Of course, Scottish notes are not legal tender anyway, even in Scotland, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

morddwyd 08:51 09 Mar 2010

Slightly off thread, but there was never a note that gave you such a sense of well being and superiority as the old white fiver, particularly if you had more than one to flash around.

Half a dozen of those was a better pull than a sports car!

interzone55 08:55 09 Mar 2010

Don't worry, most banks will still take them back even after they cease to be legal tender.

After my mum died in 2004 we found around £8k secreted around the house, her emergency stash I suppose, around half was in the type E (Michael Faraday) note which was withdrawn in 2001. My dad gave us £2k each. I took mine to my bank and they accepted them with no problems...

canarieslover 09:28 09 Mar 2010

When white fivers were around half a dozen of them would have bought you a second hand sports car!!!

Bapou 11:21 09 Mar 2010

Herself was relaxing with a cup of coffee after a spell of ironing this morning, then I announced this news. Suddenly there's activity upstairs then a call for me to open the attic up.

May be she thought it needed a tidy up, have not been up there since moving the Christmas decorations back.

Still, she wasn't letting on and it pays to mind one's own business, so I came back on here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?