The special relationship seems strained........

oresome 14:40 09 Jul 2019

Diplomacy seems to have been lacking in some of the UK Ambassadors private correspondence with his political masters back home and Donald is smarting.

It must only be a matter of days or weeks before he returns home.

Quickbeam 17:06 13 Jul 2019

I would say that Thatcher and Regan had the last meaningful special relationship.

Boris is likely to have an incredibly one sided brown tongued special relationship!

oresome 18:22 13 Jul 2019

*digital investigation is underway. Phew - painful!!*

You put your finger on it.

morddwyd 19:23 13 Jul 2019

* QB* The special relationships to which you refer were at a personal level.

At governmental level no such relationship ever existed.

Quickbeam 19:32 13 Jul 2019

I can agree with that morddwyd.

john bunyan 11:33 14 Jul 2019

The special relationship is very strong with the military, GCHQ and MI6. In RM did my staff officers course with USMC at Quantico , often worked with SEAL’s and other US formations . A Corbyn Government would no doubt cause a rift

Quickbeam 15:32 14 Jul 2019

You mean there isn't a rift right now...?

john bunyan 16:20 14 Jul 2019

No rift in the military, no.

morddwyd 21:34 14 Jul 2019

Once again, you're talking on a personal level.

In the military you have common cause no matter whose uniform it is.

Have mementos from the Germans (Afrika Corps as well as the modern whizz kids!), Dutch, Norwegians, Yanks and even the French.

I remember the great hilarity and affection one of my wife's carers revealed she was a retired Polish submariner and I told her I had spent my life trying to ensure that she met a particularly unpleasant death.

However, I still don't think much of the French, American or Polish governments (Don't think much of ours either, but that's a different thread!).

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Murugiah: Musings on movies, mental health and Miles Morales from the young master

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones pas chers (2019)