Speakers Corner - a success?

anskyber 19:13 22 Feb 2006

Once, I rather inadvisedly ( because I was hoping for something else) said that Speakers Corner had been "downgraded". Now on my particular road to Damascus have to say that I think it has been a thorough success and I have enjoyed what I have read enormously, do you agree?

watchful 21:08 22 Feb 2006

Definitely.

Forum Editor 23:59 22 Feb 2006

thanks for the kind words.

ade.h - the fire is out.

I have no intention of allowing Speakers Corner to degenerate into anarchy, and I'm sure you all feel the same way. If we try to keep in mind a few simple ground rules we'll be fine:-

1. No personal insults.

2. No religious debates.

3. Nothing political.

4. Sexism is out.

5. Bad language ditto.

6. Racist comments are unacceptable.

7. So is Nationalism - patriotism is fine, but if you don't know the difference don't chance it.

Let's look forward to some interesting discussions, and lots of varied opinion. To anyone who reads the threads, but is slightly wary of contributing I say please don't hang back. Nobody knows who you are, nobody will see your red face if you say something you regret, and everyone here made that first post at some point. Without exception we've all had those moments when we wished the ground would open up, but the forum is a friendly place, and clangers soon fade into obscurity.

watchful 08:17 23 Feb 2006

says, any front page clangers soon become page 10 news.

CurlyWhirly 08:28 23 Feb 2006

I also like the new Speakers Corner and hope that it is a permanent feature of PCA.

mole44 11:16 23 Feb 2006

if only the world worked as one a this forum does, what a great place it would be.FE is like a conductor to a superb orchestra.all of you give yourself a pat on the back.

Forum Editor 17:14 23 Feb 2006

Don't start discussing Star Trek episodes in this thread please.

I did remove your earlier thread, because in the main I think "what is your favourite XXX" threads are extremely boring. Is knowing my favourite episode really of interest to you? I don't think so - I think what you really mean is this:-

"I'm a real Star Wars fanatic, and I just love talking about it. I want to talk about it here, but I can't think of a way to start the subject, so I'll ask about favourite episodes".

Am I right?

If you do really want to discuss Star Wars then I suppose it's OK - but don't do the 'favourite episode' thing, for my sake. Think of another way of starting a discussion.

PurplePenny 17:16 28 Feb 2006

Never! The Clangers will never fade into obscurity!

And my favourite episode was the one where the Soup Dragon....

(Running away before FE sends the Iron Chicken to get me.)

Forum Editor 18:42 28 Feb 2006

I might start removing sycophantic posts when you learn how to spell the word............or there again I might not.

SG Atlantis® - well spotted. My deliberate mistake, I mean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

George Bletsis' illustrations capture character and chaos with an effortless touch

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment supprimer son historique Netflix ?