Sometimes I wonder just what goes on in the minds of Ministers

Forum Editor 19:04 19 Aug 2014
Answered

I've been hearing about how we (taxpayers) must fork out at least £220 million to a US IT company because our government acted wrongly when it terminated a badly-managed Border agency IT project.

The project was to make us more secure by monitoring every person who enters or leaves the country, and compares the names of travelers to international databases of known terrorists and other undesirables. Inbound travelers would be checked at their point of departure, and would not be allowed to travel if we didn't want them here. All modes of travel would be monitored, including Euro-star trains.

Called e-borders, it's a good system, except that we don't have it. The idea was initiated by the last Labour government; the contract was signed in 2007, and by 2010 when the current government arrived it was already a complete mess, and at least a year behind schedule. Theresa May, acting on the advice of Civil Service experts decided to cancel the contract, and Raytheon (the US IT company) went to an arbitration tribunal which made the award mentioned above.

The person responsible for managing the project on behalf of the Border Agency was a certain Lin Homer, who is shortly going to be grilled by the Home Affairs select committee over her handling of the IT fiasco and 'other matters' relating to her time as head of the Border Agency. Keith Vaz is quoted as saying that "We will want to hear further from Lin Homer, the then head of the UKBA, as to why she sanctioned such a defective agreement."

Quite. I'm looking forward to hearing what she has to say about this as well, seeing as how I've chipped in some of the £250 million we have already spent on the project - money that is now down the drain.

I would also quite like to know why the said Lin Homer has since been promoted to become head of HMRC.

You couldn't make it up.

spuds 10:20 22 Aug 2014

Apologies for the way the comments to BillSer came out, PCA gremlins at work due to the 'click here'?.

After 'click here' Whatever (the case,) should have appeared, not at the bottom of the page?.

spuds 13:56 23 Aug 2014

"Sometimes I wonder just what goes on in the minds of Ministers"

Completely off subject and realise that, but having just received a House of Commons letter and freepost survey form from my local MP, and a nicely printed with photographs newsletter from the local councillor's.

I now realise just out of touch these people are with the general public!.

spuds 17:51 23 Aug 2014

Woolwell - the problem with my local MP and councillor's, are that they are relatively new to the game, and it would appear that their aims are being fast-tracked to better positions, leaving those in my community slightly bewildered!.

We do get plenty of photo-shoot's though!.

Forum Editor 17:12 24 Aug 2014

spuds

PCA gremlins at work due to the 'click here'?.

Not really - you mistakenly typed the 'whatever' in the wrong place. It shifted itself because of that.

Forum Editor 17:52 24 Aug 2014

rdave13

I haven't put a double space in this post after this link,and nothing has appeared at the bottom. The trick is to type your text first, and then highlight the words you want to form the link before clicking on the link icon and pasting the url into the box that appears.

Actually I think the linking process is a little clunky, and I'm going to see if we might be able to revert to the previous system we had, where inserting a url into your text automatically forms a 'click here' link. It might not be possible right now, but perhaps in the near future.

spuds 18:11 24 Aug 2014

Forum Editor

"Actually I think the linking process is a little clunky, and I'm going to see if we might be able to revert to the previous system we had, where inserting a url into your text automatically forms a 'click here' link. It might not be possible right now, but perhaps in the near future."

A very good comment and idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei given 90-day extension to trade with US companies

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)