Hot Topics

Some of you, who have been with us for a long time

Forum Editor 19:52 01 Feb 2016

may remember that, years ago, I ran a thread about ethical/moral dilemmas. I posed questions about some tricky situations and invited you to say what you would do.

Prompted by something someone said to me today, I thought it might be interesting to try the same thing again.

See what you think about this:-

A man who has threatened to explode several bombs in trains and office buildings has been apprehended. He says he has already planted the bombs and they are scheduled to go off in a short time. It is possible that hundreds of people may die. The authorities cannot make him divulge the location of the bombs by conventional methods. He refuses to say anything because his lawyer has told him he has the right to make no comment.

In desperation, a senior police officer suggests getting the information by the use of violence. This would be illegal, of course, but the officer thinks that it is nevertheless the right thing to do in this desperate situation. You are the Home Secretary, and the problem is dumped in your lap over the phone. You are told that the man has a wife and two young children and that the wife had no idea what her husband was doing.

You have to make a decision and make it quickly. What would your answer be?

Joseph Kerr 00:06 11 Feb 2016

mbc, your logic is flawed and your facts, well, are not facts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 55U1 is the best new TV you can’t buy

How to get your first design job

What's the difference between macOS and iOS/iPadOS

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs