software refunds a grey area.

MJS WARLORD 11:18 10 Feb 2019
Answered

Have you ever tried to get a software refund for whatever reason and been refused. I buy software online or via steam because whenever I have taken a shop bought disc back I have been refused a refund because ( playing with words ) when you open the box you become the licence holder and the product cannot be refunded and resold because licences are not transferable. One guy even said you are not buying the game you are buying the licence to use it. So , being cynical now , does this mean that up to a 100 guys will spend 2 years working on a piece of software then "sell me the licence " and give me the game for free.

I once sent a disc back to manufacturers as it had a crack in it so would not install , the shop would not refund me as I had opened the box ! The makers said disc not damaged but if you want a replacement it will cost x amount , I refused so they sent back the "undamaged" disc with the crack still in it.

As a youngster was getting served in front of me he casually said if it does not work can I have my money back. His dad heard the man say no so he stopped his son opening the box and asked for his money back. At first the staff said no so dad said you cant refuse as he has not opened it !

Pine Man 11:37 10 Feb 2019

One guy even said you are not buying the game you are buying the licence to use it.

He was not far wrong. When you purchase software, you receive a copy of the software and a license to use it.

lotvic 11:41 10 Feb 2019

One guy even said you are not buying the game you are buying the licence to use it

It's in the EULA for your software...

MJS WARLORD 11:48 10 Feb 2019

I know that lotvic but some makers are lazy and they don't include manuals , you have to read instructions from a manual on the disc and of course by that time your using it ! as I say they play with words.

One comment you can throw at a shop is , I know you did not make this item but its your responsibility to sort it cos you sold it.

lotvic 13:03 10 Feb 2019

I struggle, and mostly fail, to understand the logic in some of your posts.

MJS WARLORD 13:24 10 Feb 2019

Why .

lotvic 13:58 10 Feb 2019

When purchasing software, in a shop or online, my logic tells me that it is a licence to use as no way would a team of 100 developers sell or give me the ownership of software it has taken them 2 years to produce.

(My logic) A copy of the software on a CD or DVD does not confer ownership.

HondaMan 14:37 10 Feb 2019

You can often obtain a copy of the manual from the developer's website

Old Deuteronomy 15:38 10 Feb 2019

I once sent a disc back to manufacturers as it had a crack in it so would not install , the shop would not refund me as I had opened the box ! The makers said disc not damaged but if you want a replacement it will cost x amount , I refused so they sent back the "undamaged" disc with the crack still in it.

The shop had a legal obligation to refund you, they sold you goods that were defective and not fit for purpose. They can't hide behind a no opening clause.

Menzie 16:27 10 Feb 2019

I've never had issues returning software. I once received an Xbox 360 game from an online retailer that arrived used (it wasn't sealed) and the disc inside had scratches.

I sent an email and they told me to send it back and they'd send out a new one. Sent it out the next day using labels provided during my lunch break. When I got home there was the replacement waiting for me.

I also once returned a game because it was buggy and poor. The store manager kicked up a fuss at first but agreed I could either get something else or a refund. I opted to get something else.

You've always purchased a license to use software. It's just that because the tech of yesteryear never locked you out or required activation many have concluded you own the software which isn't the case.

You are obtaining a license to use purchased software with terms and conditions that you agree to upon installation.

MJS WARLORD 16:47 10 Feb 2019
Answer

hi menzie , your spot on with t's and c's , if you don't tick the box to agree then word install stays greyed out.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Robert Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spaced out music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique