So would you return and pay?

oresome 16:13 04 Jul 2019

A restaurant in Liverpool is complaining that following a fire alarm and evacuation of the building, many diners didn't return to finish their meal and pay for it.

I think before we condemn people for being dishonest there are many quite a few factors to consider. Here are a few:

How far through the meal were they if indeed they had received anything?

How long did the evacuation last?

Was the food on the table to be discarded and remade and how long was it likely to take?

Had the diners some other appointment to keep.

Did it spoil the diners evening, or would it have done had they hung about outside for an indeterminate time.

Perhaps some diners were celebrating a special event which was ruined and one they'll never get back and believe they deserve compensation from the restaurant.

click here

WhirlingRound 17:48 04 Jul 2019

I haven't read the story given the paper in which it's reported, but it depends on several factors:

Does the insurance policy cover guests not paying following a fire? If so they shouldn't complain.

How serious was the fire? Could guests re-enter after a short time, and resume their meals? Even if so, they were unlikely to be as nice to eat. That depends on how tolerant people are with the state of food. Would it taste of smoke?

How much of each meal was eaten prior to the evacuation.

To me, once a meal has been served, whether or not subsequently eaten, the insurance should cover the cost of producing it. I'm sure there is more to it than what the paper has reported, but it's certainly an interesting one. Probably a case-by-case basis.

Old Deuteronomy 18:43 04 Jul 2019

I think it is entirely reasonable to expect people to pay for food they have eaten, failure to do so is theft. As for food they were not able to eat, due to circumstances beyond customer's control, I should think that is something for insurance to deal with.

grumpy old man 18:45 04 Jul 2019

Wirlingaround is right whilst there are some dishonest people around I would have thought the insurance company would pay up , the restaurant would have proof of unpaid tabs.

Not only that , the owners and the fire brigade would not be happy if you said sod off I am not moving till I have finished , you could in an extreme case argue you wanted to eat and pay but were told to leave but lets face it , if an alarm goes off anywhere you are expected to leave and not even wait to see if it was a false alarm.

worse case scenario ANYWHERE move or die ( maybe )

Old Deuteronomy 18:47 04 Jul 2019

Edit: Read the OP again. Agree that returning to finish would depend on how long people were kept outside.

Forum Editor 19:34 04 Jul 2019

"Mr Hesketh said after the evacuation was over, staff went above and beyond to re-cook all customers' meals and offered a discount on their bills."

Only a small number of customers reappeared.

This incident serves to illustrate how in this day and age lots of people feel no moral pressure to play fair. The fire alarm going off was not the customers' fault, but it was not the restaurant's fault either, it affected all of the restaurants along the Albert dock.

I think I would at least have had the good manners to go back and give them a second chance, or ask if i owed anything, or say I was sorry, rather than just walking off. Some of the people who did that must have eaten some, if not all their meal, and certainly there would have been alcohol consumed - they can't all have just sat down.

morddwyd 10:29 06 Jul 2019

Think themselves they are not being used for a ruined dare, particularly it was a promising one, and PTSD!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Nexus Studios on how to make the perfect animation showreel and portfolio

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Test : la montre connectée Fossil Sport avec puce Snapdragon Wear 3100 à moins de 250 €