So who do you want to do this job then?

Cymro. 11:15 10 Sep 2019

BBC link

As Commons Speaker John Bercow is to stand down (never popular on this Forum) who would you like to do the job? Labour's Harriet Harman is just a suggestion in the link above and not a particular favorite of mine. I rather hope they get someone who is a bit of a character.

WhirlingRound 13:51 13 Sep 2019

FE, I disagree with regards John Bercow and Harriet Harman. Although she has a lot of experience in the Commons, her political past is less than ideal.

I have not heard much about Lindsay Hoyle so it will be interesting to see what he has to offer.

Quickbeam 19:29 13 Sep 2019

Whether a showboater or not, whether a tad biased or not or whether a pompous twit or not, he's certainly proved the worth of a speaker that's not afraid of his own original party in government when it tries to flagrantly cajole and stymy (my current word of the year contender so far) the commons into kowtowing (last year's word of the year) to it's chanceful Brexit handling.

The one great legacy of Bercow is that future speakers will now be expected to stand strong against bullying governments even if being accused of bias while doing their duty to Parliament.

I think history will be kind to him.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)