So Where Are The Windows 10 Computers

morddwyd 10:23 03 Oct 2015

This is not really a Windows query, more of a rant.

Where are the computers with with 10 pre-installed.

I understood that these would be available from Sept 29th, but no sign of them locally as yet.

(Yes, I know it's a free upgrade, I've already done it, but I don't want to buy something in need of an upgrade, or something that will revert to Win 8 if ever I have to recover to factory.)

Forum Editor 10:38 03 Oct 2015

Suppliers need to clear stocks of laptops with Windows 8 pre-installed. Windows 10 machines will enter the supply chain as this occurs, and some retailers are already offering machines with Windows 10 pre-installed.

Tesco is one of them, as is John Lewis, and there are probably others.

spuds 11:53 03 Oct 2015

"Tesco is one of them, as is John Lewis, and there are probably others."

I made some inquiries about this yesterday, and John Lewis was still suggesting that their present stock was W 8.1 with upgrades to W10 till 29 July 2016!.

I think this is going to another one of those strange markets, because the likes of Ebuyer and a few others, bought in bulk W7 software that was and still is available, in anticipation that some people might stick with W7.

Govan1x 12:11 03 Oct 2015

If it comes with W10 on it there is no going back to W8.

All those from Medion have W10 installed.

Click Here

x123 12:19 03 Oct 2015

I'm off to my local curry's / pc world, 50 mile round trip, to pick up new washing machine. Wife said our old one went bang yesterday. I will be looking to see if any new machines take my fancy with 10 already installed. I tried the other night to upgrade my 7pro laptop to 10, for free. It took hours and on the end loaded the OS but said it could not find a wireless device. So obviously no drivers for it. Couldn't be bothered to look for them, as quite happy with 7 but if I see a machine I like, I may treat myself as the wife is apple mad.

morddwyd 08:24 04 Oct 2015

"Suppliers need to clear stocks of laptops with Windows 8 pre-installed."

Normally clearance stock is reduced in price. No sign of that; if there were I would have no objection to buying and upgrading!

morddwyd 09:01 04 Oct 2015

"If it comes with W10 on it there is no going back to W8."

Don't see how that is relevant.

If it comes with 8 there's no going back to 7!

Govan1x 11:10 04 Oct 2015

You are of course correct morddwyd I misread your post. Sorry.

oresome 11:58 04 Oct 2015

Having upgraded the desktop to Windows 10 a while ago and finding no big issues, I upgraded the wife's laptop last week. Both previously running on Widows 7.

Of course there are a number of niggles now with the laptop and I'm getting earache for tinkering with it.

Forum Editor 12:45 04 Oct 2015

"Normally clearance stock is reduced in price. No sign of that; if there were I would have no objection to buying and upgrading!"

I'm not really sure why a retailer should reduce the price of a perfectly good computer, simply because Microsoft has released a new (free) version of Windows. The retailer has paid for the previous Windows licence, and new computers would have to be removed from their factory packaging to do the upgrade - technically they wouldn't be 'new' machines afterwards.

The upgrade process is about as simple as it could get, and I certainly would not be offering discounted new computers if I was a retailer.

morddwyd 18:56 04 Oct 2015

"I certainly would not be offering discounted new computers if I was a retailer."

That is the choice of any retailer, of course, just as it is my choice to go elsewhere and buy a state of the art, rather than an out of date, computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)