So Where Are The Windows 10 Computers

morddwyd 10:23 03 Oct 2015

This is not really a Windows query, more of a rant.

Where are the computers with with 10 pre-installed.

I understood that these would be available from Sept 29th, but no sign of them locally as yet.

(Yes, I know it's a free upgrade, I've already done it, but I don't want to buy something in need of an upgrade, or something that will revert to Win 8 if ever I have to recover to factory.)

Forum Editor 10:38 03 Oct 2015

Suppliers need to clear stocks of laptops with Windows 8 pre-installed. Windows 10 machines will enter the supply chain as this occurs, and some retailers are already offering machines with Windows 10 pre-installed.

Tesco is one of them, as is John Lewis, and there are probably others.

spuds 11:53 03 Oct 2015

"Tesco is one of them, as is John Lewis, and there are probably others."

I made some inquiries about this yesterday, and John Lewis was still suggesting that their present stock was W 8.1 with upgrades to W10 till 29 July 2016!.

I think this is going to another one of those strange markets, because the likes of Ebuyer and a few others, bought in bulk W7 software that was and still is available, in anticipation that some people might stick with W7.

Govan1x 12:11 03 Oct 2015

If it comes with W10 on it there is no going back to W8.

All those from Medion have W10 installed.

Click Here

x123 12:19 03 Oct 2015

I'm off to my local curry's / pc world, 50 mile round trip, to pick up new washing machine. Wife said our old one went bang yesterday. I will be looking to see if any new machines take my fancy with 10 already installed. I tried the other night to upgrade my 7pro laptop to 10, for free. It took hours and on the end loaded the OS but said it could not find a wireless device. So obviously no drivers for it. Couldn't be bothered to look for them, as quite happy with 7 but if I see a machine I like, I may treat myself as the wife is apple mad.

morddwyd 08:24 04 Oct 2015

"Suppliers need to clear stocks of laptops with Windows 8 pre-installed."

Normally clearance stock is reduced in price. No sign of that; if there were I would have no objection to buying and upgrading!

morddwyd 09:01 04 Oct 2015

"If it comes with W10 on it there is no going back to W8."

Don't see how that is relevant.

If it comes with 8 there's no going back to 7!

Govan1x 11:10 04 Oct 2015

You are of course correct morddwyd I misread your post. Sorry.

oresome 11:58 04 Oct 2015

Having upgraded the desktop to Windows 10 a while ago and finding no big issues, I upgraded the wife's laptop last week. Both previously running on Widows 7.

Of course there are a number of niggles now with the laptop and I'm getting earache for tinkering with it.

Forum Editor 12:45 04 Oct 2015

"Normally clearance stock is reduced in price. No sign of that; if there were I would have no objection to buying and upgrading!"

I'm not really sure why a retailer should reduce the price of a perfectly good computer, simply because Microsoft has released a new (free) version of Windows. The retailer has paid for the previous Windows licence, and new computers would have to be removed from their factory packaging to do the upgrade - technically they wouldn't be 'new' machines afterwards.

The upgrade process is about as simple as it could get, and I certainly would not be offering discounted new computers if I was a retailer.

morddwyd 18:56 04 Oct 2015

"I certainly would not be offering discounted new computers if I was a retailer."

That is the choice of any retailer, of course, just as it is my choice to go elsewhere and buy a state of the art, rather than an out of date, computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

How to Brand a Film Festival, Saul Bass style

How to install the iOS 13 beta on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleurs ├ętuis et housses pour Kindle (2019)