So what do you make of this man?

Cymro. 12:32 29 Jan 2018

BBC link

I suppose he can only be one of two things a hero or a villain. He was responsible for the murders of several people but then again he provided the authorities with information that saved the lives of others. They reduced his sentence from 35 to six-and-a-half years for assistance provided to the police so I assume he must have done something of value to society. From the BBC News site "He was a paid police informer for 11 years. The judge said he was involved in a "terrorist campaign" for 16 years. After turning state witness in 2009, Haggarty provided information on 55 loyalist murders and 20 attempted murders in 1,015 police interviews". There are all sorts of things to be taken in to consideration here. As I started this post "is he a hero or a villain?" I recon he would have to be something of a villain to get involved with such people in the first place but did he redeem himself by becoming a police informer?

canarieslover 13:24 29 Jan 2018

Very much the villain, but one who was not loyal to his compatriots and sold them on to get a discount on his own sentence. Probably he will get repaid by his old mates when he gets out as nobody likes a sneak.

Aitchbee 14:28 29 Jan 2018

The Irish Problem. A very complex issue which most outsiders cannot begin to understand. The judgement looks like a sensible punishment to me. There are no winners.

Forum Editor 14:36 29 Jan 2018

"The vast majority of people named by Haggarty in his police interviews will not face prosecution amid state concerns about a lack of supporting evidence."

I can't comment further, because I don't know enough about this case, and frankly I don't have the time or the inclination to delve into it.

Old Deuteronomy 16:10 29 Jan 2018

Whatever he has done since, he is still a murderer. I understand there needs to be an incentive to get someone like him to provide evidence but, my belief and it is only my belief, is that should perhaps have meant 20 or 25 years instead of 35, so he can be out by the time he is 70. 6.5 years is little short of a let-off with a slapped wrist.

Al94 17:35 29 Jan 2018

Knowing a lot about the Northern Ireland and based on past events, the sentence is in all likelihood irrelevant. I would be very surprised if he comes out of jail alive.

Al94 20:09 24 Jul 2018

I was wrong released

bumpkin 21:16 24 Jul 2018

It is such a difficult situation who can judge what is best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)