So in or out your still stuck with this

Cymro. 11:51 27 Mar 2019

BBC link

The Department for Transport said the system would also apply in the UK, despite Brexit.

john bunyan 13:02 27 Mar 2019

I think this is a good measure; I assume that “Blue Lights “ vehicles would be able to override such a system.

wee eddie 13:16 27 Mar 2019

I can see plenty of objections from the Petrol Heads, but have none myself.

However: Younger drivers who are, statistically, the largest cause of accidents, usually drive older vehicles which will not be fitted with this system for years, if ever.

caccy 15:43 27 Mar 2019

Plenty of electronics and software in them then.

Nothing can possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong.

hastelloy 15:51 27 Mar 2019

I think we place too much emphasis on speed. What we should be concentrating on is improving driving standards. A good driver always drives at a speed which is sensible for his/her skills, the capabilities of the vehicle and road conditions.

I believe that the current driving test should be followed by 2 years on "P" plates after which an advanced test should be compulsory every 3 or 5 years.

Redfords 16:00 27 Mar 2019

As a young driver I can only say this will make roads safer which is the best thing for everyone

canarieslover 16:24 27 Mar 2019

Goodbye to sales of Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin and any other sports cars. I can see that the value of older unrestricted ones will rocket while the manufacturers go out of business. I would hate to be involved with the automotive industry nowadays as I feel that will be the final nail in the coffin for some.

Old Deuteronomy 16:46 27 Mar 2019

The speed limiter function is expected to be able to be turned off by the driver. I agree with the AA view, the technology expected to be approved and made compulsory in new cars will lead to drivers paying less attention, believing the car will keep them safe all the time. There have already been accidents because of drivers relying too much on Tesla's limited self driving functions.

KEITH 1955 18:05 27 Mar 2019

I work with a young guy who has a black box fitted by an insurance company , I am not sure if this bit is true ….. he says the deal limits his annual mile but not sure about that , he has however been told his driving habits have been monitored and again he "says" his insurer has shown concern about his driving habits …… again I am not sure if he is telling the truth …… just passing on what he said !

Quickbeam 18:13 27 Mar 2019

The real value of a GPS limited vehicle would be in stopping you creeping above the limit on an empty road where you don't notice that happening. It's inevitable that with autonomous cars on the horizon, we'll move more in this direction including black box data recorders that can indicate your driving style prior to a crash.

I agree that speed isn't the biggest danger on the road, for me it's the number of people that run red lights by many seconds, and the drivers with their heads down intently because they're looking at a phone screen.

Regarding the end of supercars, well I think the end is already nigh for them with the move towards electric cars. Who's going to buy a Ferrari that sounds like a milk float...?

lotvic 18:17 27 Mar 2019

KEITH 1955, yes he's telling the truth. Black box insurance, the device also assesses your driving style by monitoring braking and cornering.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les bons plans TV (2019)