So now that we've Brexited ...

Quickbeam 20:38 25 Jun 2016

What happens now?

There was no business plan offered during the campaigning, and so far there is little indication of one now.

The EU wants us gone asap. Cameron has left the planning to his successor, presumably this could be a poisoned challis. The most likely successor insists that there is no hurry. That makes me think that they've been taken completely by surprise. And think a better deal to remain might be forth coming.

My gut feeling is that the EU will not in any way consider this with a major nation.

The opposition leader is coming under great pressure to be gone, presumably people are sensing a general election, and Corbyn is a dead duck opposition leader.

It's suggested that Boris or Gove have become too divisive to succeed as PM in a country that is spilt in every social group.

The possible break up of the Home Union is back on the cards with Sturgeons preparatory legislation for a Scottish Indy Ref II, and in NI, Sinn Fein have mentioned a reunification of Ireland.

It looks all set to go full on tit up to me!

john bunyan 17:48 22 Oct 2016

spider9~2

I am resisting the temptation to reply!!! So much to discuss in the future though with 65% of Scottish exports going to rUK. Hope you are well; I just had a bit of good news following an MRI.

The world seems in such a mess; my 21 year old grand daughter (currently reading for a Masters)has views that are very much in line with yours, so keeps me on my (mental) toes :))

daz60 18:13 22 Oct 2016

Are you so sure that CETA is of "benefit" to ALL.? This comprehensive trade agreement like TTIP is one of the new breed of agreements which impact on other areas of policy,social as well as economic, which could have detrimental affects on Governments ability to manage the economy. Belgium have at least understood how much of a game changer these new trade deals are.

Forum Editor 11:10 23 Oct 2016

daz60

It is made quite clear in the preamble to CETA that nothing in the agreement can affect a government's right to regulate in the public interest.

Furthermore, there is a provision which states that CETA will not permit any CETA tribunal to request that a government should change its laws, regulations, or policies.

These, and other provisions in the agreement ensure that it would not have a detrimental effect on a government's laws and regulations - CETA investors would have to comply with the host country's relevant legislation.

john bunyan 15:57 23 Oct 2016

spider 9~2

Thanks for the link- btw it is my GRAND daughter who is 21, and accused me of being a "Daily Mail" reader when I attempted a little joke about the adult appearance of recent "child" migrants....

As you know I am in favour of devo max, and am watching current developments with interest.

john bunyan 17:13 24 Oct 2016

spider9~2

Maybe after the 'meeting' in London, tomorrow, we may get something to chew over....if allowed ! (;-o)

See: href

I regret the Brexit, but it was a "UK", not regional vote. London, with a bigger population than Scotland, also voted to remain. I, somewhat reluctantly, accept the result, although I think referenda in general, in a Parliamentary democracy , are a poor way of deciding such issues. I suspect, for example, that a few years ago at least, "equal marriage" would not have been won, and capital punishment would have returned, had there been referenda.

We are where we are and Nicola will have to decide quite quickly to accept the "will of the UK people" , or get on with Indy2, bearing in mind that over 65% of Scottish exports are to rUK. I cannot see how, even if we tried, that the EU would accept different rules for parts of the UK , as the Spanish and other countries with potential regions wanting to secede would not want to set a precedent.

A mess indeed but there seems little chance of a change of heart in Parliament, and Mrs may was more or less frozen out at the recent EU summit (given 5 mins at midnight to address the others, and being firmly told that the 27 will take decisions for long term matters without the UK being consulted.)

Forum Editor 17:59 24 Oct 2016

john bunyan

"I think referenda in general, in a Parliamentary democracy , are a poor way of deciding such issues."

There was no referendum when we entered the EU (or the Common Market as it was referred to then) in 1973, but there was one later (in 1975) when we voted to remain in the European Community by a large majority - just over 17 million of us voted yes and 8.4 million said no.

I suppose that it was only fitting that 40 years later another referendum should decide whether or not we remained. In general terms I agree with you that government by referendum is to be avoided, but there are rare occasions on which it can be important for a government to discern the will of the people on a specific and important issue outside of the electoral process.

It's difficult to imagine anything more democratic than a referendum in which every citizen qualified to vote gets to say yes or no to a question of enormous national importance such as membership of the EU.

Forum Editor 18:45 24 Oct 2016

spider9~2

"Referenda are usually 'advisory' to a government."

But on this occasion, our government had committed to implement the result beforehand. The referendum took place on the basis of the voters knowing that whatever we decided would become a fact.

"Hence we now have a mess!"

I don't agree - we voted to leave the EU, the basis on which each of us made a judgement about which way to vote doesn't matter. People can theorise about why others voted as much as they like, but vote we did, and a majority of us voted to leave. Our government must (and will) act upon our democratic decision.

john bunyan 11:14 26 Oct 2016

spider9~2

Thanks for the interesting link; I am all in favour of increasing devolution to Scotland, short of a total split. I know Trident is an issue, but hopefully if the SNP compromised on that, then further powers could be discussed. I hope all parties will work on it.

x123 18:47 27 Oct 2016

Excellent news that Nissan are going to build both new cars in the north east of England. The whole workforce and ancillary suppliers must be cock-a-hoop that a major factory will be building for more decades to come.

john bunyan 18:51 27 Oct 2016

I saw my Consultant Oncologist today. He is probably one of the UK's top research Professor of experimental Oncology, and his University Medical faculty is building what will be the UK's main centre for immunotherapy (a procedure that has put me, in 3 years, from a 6 months to an unlimited prognosis).

He is of German origin, has an MB and MD from there, a PhD from the USA and is a leading Professor here, as well as a world figure in his field, publishing many papers. He has 2 sons studying at A Level. He was shattered by the Brexit vote, and felt unwelcome. His University relies on funding from the EU for research ,and , more importantly, needs to attract the world and EU's top research people to this new centre. Recruiting is already getting more difficult, not due to current rules, but a feeling among Europe's top research people in this field that the UK is much less attractive post Brexit, and research funding for Universities is uncertain. Of the many Consultants I have met he is far and away the best - going to the trouble of e mailing results late at night if one is anxious. I was frankly ashamed of our vote when I spoke to him.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !