Hot Topics

So now that we've Brexited ...

Quickbeam 20:38 25 Jun 2016

What happens now?

There was no business plan offered during the campaigning, and so far there is little indication of one now.

The EU wants us gone asap. Cameron has left the planning to his successor, presumably this could be a poisoned challis. The most likely successor insists that there is no hurry. That makes me think that they've been taken completely by surprise. And think a better deal to remain might be forth coming.

My gut feeling is that the EU will not in any way consider this with a major nation.

The opposition leader is coming under great pressure to be gone, presumably people are sensing a general election, and Corbyn is a dead duck opposition leader.

It's suggested that Boris or Gove have become too divisive to succeed as PM in a country that is spilt in every social group.

The possible break up of the Home Union is back on the cards with Sturgeons preparatory legislation for a Scottish Indy Ref II, and in NI, Sinn Fein have mentioned a reunification of Ireland.

It looks all set to go full on tit up to me!

morddwyd 18:48 02 Oct 2016

"Makes perfect sense to me."

Me too.

Let us not forget that many of the EU Directives originated in this country, particularly the employee protection and consumer protection ones.

Many of these were the result of pressure from the British trade unions and we won't want to see those repealed.

Quickbeam 20:23 02 Oct 2016

"Let us not forget that many of the EU Directives originated in this country"

That's another thing that the masses conveniently ignored when they chose to believe that all our laws are made in Brussels against our will!

john bunyan 18:12 03 Oct 2016

spider9~2

So far I have fully agreed with your input on this thread!! (eg my post of 15.01 on 2 Oct)

Maybe as time goes on our views may diverge?

Forum Editor 18:16 03 Oct 2016

"Maybe as time goes on our views may diverge?"

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.

Forum Editor 18:28 03 Oct 2016

spider9~2

"....take all the laws and throw out 'bad' ones later) is that it moves all the stuff that the Tory government want to delete into the very long grass."

I wonder if you're a little confused over this?

The idea is to incorporate some EU regulations - the ones relating to the conduct of businesses with EU customers - into UK law when he are no longer bound by them as an EU member.

On the day we officially exit the EU, all those regulations cease to be binding on us, but we can't just walk away from them or UK businesses will be in difficulties when it comes to trading with EU customers - especially when it comes to contracts already entered into. The applying regulations will still need to have the force of law, so we'll legislate accordingly.

Later, as things settle down, and we have a clearer view of our trading situation, we may be able to drop some of the regulations. It will be done piecemeal, I'm sure.

I know you imagine some dark and sinister purpose behind the idea, but there isn't one.

bremner 19:26 03 Oct 2016

Link is to subscription

x123 20:23 03 Oct 2016

The gist is that Prime Minister May has dropped a clanger by saying we will invoke article 50 by the end of March thus loosing leaverage in negotiations before article 50.

That being the opinion of the bias FT who desperately wanted us to stay in the EU to keep the gravy train rolling.

LastChip 21:18 03 Oct 2016

I don't know what else she could have done. The EU have made it perfectly clear, they will not enter into negotiations until article 50 is invoked.

But, none of us know what may already have been discussed behind closed doors and away from the media spotlight.

Theresa May has made it very clear, she is not going to provide a blow by blow account and if she wants a good outcome, nor should she.

As much as I want it to happen right now, I'm pragmatic enough to know things take time, particularly when the last lot failed to make any preparations for this scenario.

And it's no good saying the leave campaign should have, they were not the government at the time and had no power to do so.

It seems to me, she's doing the best job she can given the circumstances she's inherited.

x123 21:53 03 Oct 2016

As usual you get those who try to score points because Prime Minister May has given a date to formally leave.

The same, have been moaning that no progress had been announced and would have continued moaning if nothing had been said at conference.

Forum Editor 22:26 03 Oct 2016

x123

There are people in life who just can't avoid being surrounded by a cloud of negativity. They'll look at almost any situation, and find cause to whinge and find fault, and generally find nothing good to say.

I try to avoid them if I can - their glasses are permanently half empty, and their company is depressing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor unveils special edition Magic Watch 2 with artists and designers

Adobe CC buying guide: January deals, pricing, new features & free trials

Best SSD for Mac 2020

Huawei P40 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs