So, now the UK threat level has been raised to 'severe'

Forum Editor 18:10 29 Aug 2014

which indicates that an attack from international terrorists on the UK mainland is 'highly likely'.

Tell me if I've got this wrong - we believe that an attack is highly likely, we know that religious fanatics are rampaging through parts of the Middle east murdering large numbers of people at will, we know that some of these killers come from, and are likely to return to this country, we have the means to do something about it all - by mounting airborne strikes against said murderers - we are being asked to do so by the government of Iraq, yet still our Prime Minister sits in Downing street and does nothing.

Do we have the right person at the controls?

Forum Editor 18:21 29 Aug 2014

"I suppose if they had listened to Enoch Powell we may not be in this predicament."

Of course we would. The two subjects are not in any way related.

As far as sending in the troops goes, nobody has suggested that. I mentioned air strikes.

Quickbeam 18:23 29 Aug 2014

"Do we have the right person at the controls?"

Well we picked him. Would the other two be better?

john bunyan 19:18 29 Aug 2014

We have taken a viper to our bosom and are surprised that it bites?

To get involved in offensive action (not as part of NATO nor with a UN resolution) would be silly - especially as we have reduced our armed forces so much. Attacking the murderers in Syria and Iraq would exacerbate the situation.

WE should , by all means, provide SF, kit, and instructors to the Kurds and, as woolwell says maybe, temporarily, we should have some intelligence links to Assad.

Somehow we must isolate the UK jihadists and prevent their return by any available means.

Cameron is in a catch 22 - I cannot imagine Milliband would be any different.

BRYNIT 21:02 29 Aug 2014

I usually keep out of these discussions as I find it difficult to express my thought in writing but thought I give it a try.

"Do we have the right person at the controls?"

Personally I don't know and I doubt anyone can answer that question. We can all theorise on this subject but no one can give a definite answer. The person in control IMOP cannot make a snap decisions with out carefully considering all the facts and I doubt anyone you may think could do a better job would do anything different. Would you say the same thing if the Prime Minister sits in Downing street was from a Political Party that you may have voted for.

flycatcher1 22:29 29 Aug 2014

BRYNIT. I wholeheartedly agree with you, it is a shame that earlier Prime Ministers did not sit on their hands in Downing Street instead of joining some American adventures. Harold Wilson did this country a great favour in not supporting the Vietnam War. We are a member of NATO and I think that we should not engage in direct military action without the support of other members but hell will freeze over before this happens.

I have written before about the number of military aircraft available to EU nations, I suppose they are quite good for something but I know not what definitely not for fighting.

Cameron is a Coalition leader and operates with the Lib Dem ball and chain and with one hand tied behind his back. Not the best PM we have had but a lot better than some. We will never know how good he could be unless he gets to lead a one party Goverment .

Devil Fish 22:33 29 Aug 2014

Cameron could order air strikes but it can only ever be a short term strategy given the huge costs involved and im not just talking financial

the way forward in my opinion is firstly lobby iraq into forming an inclusive government to bring the different factions together

and open dialogue with the regional players to push the IS threat back

That will leave a bad taste in the mouth having to deal with the likes of Iran and Syria but it needs to be done if this mess is to be sorted out a mess essentially created by Bush and Blair

BillSers 08:25 30 Aug 2014

Tell me if I've got this wrong - we believe that an attack is highly likely, we know that religious fanatics are rampaging through parts of the Middle east murdering large numbers of people at will, we know that some of these killers come from, and are likely to return to this country,

If anyone wants to travel to countries at war to join the Jahadists surely the best solution would be to prevent them buying a return ticket. Let them go but to never return to these shores.

sunnystaines 09:06 30 Aug 2014

what is turkey doing to stop them crossing into syria? Anyone involved in radical behaviour that is a threat to GB they should have their citizen status revoked, and deported/refused entry if their country of origin refuses to accept them they should be intered untill considered safe to release them or the threat is no more.

The EU needs to do the same to help make it work.

The Govt is all talk and no action.

spuds 10:17 30 Aug 2014

Do we have the right person at the controls?

Was the Forum Editor's question. So perhaps a candid reply would be No, Cameron is certainly not any where near the same level Maggie Thatcher was. She was called the Iron Lady for a clear reason, he certainly will never be called the Iron Duke.

The same could perhaps be stated about the leaders of the other political parties. But when the crunch comes, who will be the better candidate, at present there is very little choice of any suitable replacements. In the labour camp, Tony Blair came across as a charmer, while Gordon Brown came across as a rather robust person, who lost his way, and perhaps even will to carry on!.

Reflecting back on an earlier comment about Enoch Powell and perhaps his 'rivers of blood' speech. I notice that some politicians are beginning to refer to that speech, and one was none other than the long standing Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth, who referred to that speech in reference to the recent " allegations of infiltration of school governing boards in Birmingham by Islamist extremist" in the Trojan Horse incident.

On a personal note, I was visiting one of the major supermarkets the other day, and in the foyer entrance was a large display selling items with a number of collecting buckets for the charity about. That charity display was for 'Help the Heroes'. I could be wrong, but to some people that display might incite trouble or future problems, especially when you have kitted out soldier's displaying their campaign medals from some of the 'Muslim Arabic' conflicts?.

Coming back to the original title "So, now the UK threat level has been raised to 'severe'".

What does this mean to the average citizen on the street. Very little I suppose, because our daily activities will carry on as normal. Its perhaps when it comes home and effects us personally, will we then sit up and possibly think more, as to where we are heading, and not just to leave it to others to protect us?.

sunnystaines 11:22 30 Aug 2014

"future problems, especially when you have kitted out soldier's displaying their campaign medals from some of the 'Muslim Arabic' conflicts?."

cannot see a problem muslims fled arab countries for the safety of EU, so I think they generally [except a few bad ones] would be grateful for our help with the military.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)