So, how's your memory these days....

Forum Editor 15:43 15 Mar 2015

Are you as sharp as a pin, or do you find yourself forgetting things that you really should know?

We all suffer a degree of memory loss as the years roll on, but it happens to some more than others. I readily admit to forgetting names on occasion, and it can be embarrassing. I met an old client at the airport one day, and chatted to her for five minutes before her name came back to me. I think I got away with it, but I was panicking slightly. I forget the names of actors; my wife and I went to see a film recently. I was telling my daughter about it the next day, and do you think I could remember that it was Judy Dench in one of the lead parts?

I'm not alone, apparently What about you (whatever your name is)?

carver 10:46 16 Mar 2015

I've still got (I think) a decent memory apart from names, I always have had this problem from being young.

I can meet someone and within five minutes after leaving them can have completely forgotten their name.

That problem with forgetting something that you have to go into another room for is a known phenomenon

carver 10:51 16 Mar 2015

Another study here into the same effect so you aren't going mad just slightly, what were we talking about?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:51 16 Mar 2015

Yes I can remember everything from 50 yrs ago

its 5 mins ago that's the problem (or 5 secs if she has asked me to do something while I concentrating on something else) :0)

caccy 18:33 16 Mar 2015

I'll join the club. I think that as you get older you reach the stage of not bothering with anything that is not of particular importance. Like......ummm. Oh well.

Forum Editor 19:17 16 Mar 2015

caccy

I think you have hit on a key factor. They say that as you age you know enough about life to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were, and discard thoughts and preoccupations that are not really that important - you refine your life to the point where it ticks along quite nicely, and you aren't particularly interested in rushing around taking on all sorts of new responsibilities and commitments.

That's what they say, anyway.

wee eddie 19:30 16 Mar 2015

Mole: About 20 years ago I roughed out my Autobiography and wrote the first chapter. Then I showed it to my daughter's mother, who is Emeritus Professor of Creative Writing at a couple of minor Universities, with several successful Bonk Busters to her name.

Much of the book was to feature life in fashionable Chelsea during the 60's and 70's.

I can remember her primary comment most vividly, immediately after she'd had a look through my first draft: "Your writing style is execrable, and any way, you could not afford the Legal Fees!"

So my Backup is all contained in my grey matter and an old Zip Disk!

hssutton 19:36 16 Mar 2015

My memory at 79 is quite amazing. A week ago I signed up for Hmmm! it will come to me eventually (had to look at my emails :C ) BT Infinity. Every day since, prior to switching on my PC I've said to myself check my broadband download speeds. Seeing this thread reminded me, so I've just checked. At least I remembered to ask my wife to remind me, but her memory is about as good as mine

csqwared 20:10 16 Mar 2015

*morddwyd - Fruit Bat /\0/*

You've not seen the new stair lift advertised then? It goes so fast you can still remember what you went upstairs for. :-))

lotvic 20:42 16 Mar 2015

I wish to announce that I have found the elusive pinking shears (see my post on page 1). It has only taken me 4 months :D

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 17 Mar 2015

My house suffers from time warps!

I'll put something down,

knowing exactly where I left it I go back there for it and it will be gone.

I'll turn the house upsidedown for it byt not find it.

Months later it will turn up again in exactly the place I left it.

???????????

Only explanation I've come up with is that it fell into a time warp :0)

Nothing at all to do with me forgetting where I put it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !