Hot Topics

So how far have you driven?

Jollyjohn 21:54 07 Mar 2020

So after 10 years of a night shift driving 440 miles per night, and having held a licence for 39 years I think I have just passed the 1 million miles milestone!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:55 08 Mar 2020

Beats me, done 40k in the last 3 years.

Probably done 14k / year for the last 10 years working part time (semi retired). Before that was probably doing 30k a year for 20 years working full time, when working at same location was only getting in about 5k a year for 20 yrs

So in 50 yrs of driving I reckon I done about 750k miles. Its certainly not the pleasure it used to be when i was younger.

Dunk 11:48 08 Mar 2020

*Fruit Bat /\0/* " Its certainly not the pleasure it used to be when i was younger."

Could I perhaps suggest there are many, many things (apart from driving) that were far more pleasurable when we were younger!! Growing old is no picnic, but I suppose the alternative leaves a bit to be desired.

john bunyan 13:53 08 Mar 2020

Having driven in UK and abroad for 62 years , these days I only drive about 3,000 miles a year. Before retirement I often averaged 55,000 a year. I guess my long term average, whist falling, is about 30,000 so my cumulative mileage must be about 1.8 million miles.

I am 3/4 through an Institute for Advanced Motoring course to prove to my grandchildren in their 20’s that I am not too doddery to drive!!

Jollyjohn 21:23 08 Mar 2020

Good luck with the IAM course. :)

john bunyan 23:16 08 Mar 2020

I have actually picked up many little points that are very useful. I have a few months break as a medical issue has intervened and DVLA have stopped my driving until August

Quickbeam 06:55 09 Mar 2020

I've done 10,000 push bike miles gouge last decade.

Quickbeam 06:57 09 Mar 2020

During that should read

Jollyjohn 10:25 09 Mar 2020

Quicbeam - that's impressive. When my son started cycling I put a computer on his bike with the intention of keeping a log of how far he cycled. Unfortunately what with flat batteries and the like it hasn't worked.

canarieslover 16:02 09 Mar 2020

QB At age 16, late 50's, I was cycling to work, 21 miles each way, two nights out training added another 65 miles, club night, time trial Sunday morning and a club run in the afternoon. 300+ miles a week March to November and still my commute in the winter. Little click mileometer mounted on front axle showed me that I was doing just over 14000 miles a year until I got married 4 years later. Mileage dropped off quite a lot then as I got a job only 11 miles away. Then came the car and the family so the cycling got put on the back burner. As my boys got older I had them cycling on the road to teach them road sense and also training enough to get them to do the London to Brighton every year for about 10 years. By which time I had a job only 7.5 miles from home so went back to commuting again. I intended to do much more when I retired but arthritis ruined my knees to the extent that I have had them both replaced. Only problem with them is I can't get enough angle on the knees to enable me to ride standard 175mm cranks so it's now 160mm ones which gives me ride height problems so mileage is very limited now.

Jollyjohn 13:08 30 Jun 2020

I love the way this was hijacked by cyclists!! After 100 days of lockdown my son has covered 1000km on his bike! We have cycled an average of 10km a day for exercise and I have noticed an improvement to my overall fitness..

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

LG gram 14 (2020) review

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

'Price rise' for iPhone 12 despite lack of accessories

Les meilleurs smartphones Xiaomi (2020)