So, how big would your list be?

Al94 19:54 04 Jan 2019

Eurolottery Seem like lovely people but my list would be a lot shorter!

Old Deuteronomy 20:45 04 Jan 2019

They say they "are regular Lotto players but only normally buy tickets for EuroMillions when there is a big jackpot." and that "Money doesn't bring you happiness. We already had happiness and were very blessed in life." They appear to be contradicting themselves.

john bunyan 21:30 04 Jan 2019

Many such folk squander huge sums. Apart from clearing debts and helping kids to clear mortgages, helping grandchildren to clear student loans and help with a modest house, I would invest the bulk of the money to get , say, 5-6 % interest, and see how much that would yield net of inflation. Then keep outgoing below that . For a while I would employ a tough secretary/ accountant to deal with begging letters. I have a few charities to support, but would not give much to wider family.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:52 04 Jan 2019

115 million will earn more interest a year than most of us ever dream of earning in a lifetime.

MJS WARLORD 23:06 04 Jan 2019

OK so this my take on any ££££ win just imagine you won £20 million and you give lots of so called friends/pals 100k , I would say thanks , some people would say you tight * you won £20m , and you ONLY gave me 100k , my reply would be GIVE ME THE CHEQUE BACK

qwbos 01:58 05 Jan 2019

5-6 % interest

Where?

For a while I would employ a tough secretary/ accountant to deal with begging letters.

I'd buy a big shredder

She admitted that she will find it heartbreaking to read letters from people the couple cannot help, adding: "It will keep me up at night."

Then why go public?

Quickbeam 06:33 05 Jan 2019

Going public would be the last thing I would do purely for security reasons.

People that have that kind of wealth have either been born into it or worked to gain it and in turn live within a secure environment. Passers by can see that they are people of money, but don't go writing begging letters to them out of the blue. They will also have any wealth tied up in investments or property assets.

If you suddenly have over a £100 million in a readily accessible bank account and still live in a normal suburban location, you and your family have just suddenly become a massive security risk within your until now safe suburban environment.

So it would likely be a couple of months past the payout date with me before any close family would find out that I was giving them some money from an unknown quantity of winnings!

BT 09:27 05 Jan 2019

Beware of giving large sums to friends/relatives. The Gift Tax exclusion is only £3,000 pa so any amount over this could be liable to Tax. There are all sorts of restrictions and exemptions which make it a bit of a minefield.

john bunyan 09:36 05 Jan 2019

qwbos

Not in a bank, but a well managed portfolio, shares, ,properties, gilts, etc should average at least 5-6% . Just look at Pension portfolios run by people like Hargreaves Landsdown and similar.

Forum Editor 09:57 05 Jan 2019

These two come across as very nice people, but I can't help feeling that down the line they are going to bitterly regret going so public with their plans.

I think that If you suddenly acquire great wealth you need to take some time to come to terms with what has happened, and make no plans at all for a while. I also believe that it is wise to keep it as quiet as possible - there are plenty of very wealthy people who lead private (and very comfortable) lives.

Wanting to give money away is fine, but don't publicise the fact on prime time TV.

Old Deuteronomy 11:01 05 Jan 2019

FE, I agree but, suddenly having so much money can make normally sensible people lose their usual self-control.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf