Snow

interzone55 09:52 02 Dec 2008

OK it's 2nd December and there's a foot of snow outside my door.

I've just spent a shade over an hour attempting to get to work. I managed 1/4 mile then gave up & turned round.

Why does a few flakes of crispy white stuff bring this nation to a halt?

Bingalau 10:03 02 Dec 2008

What snow, where? God I hope it doesn't come here. I'd better get out and get my provisions in for the winter.

newman35 10:09 02 Dec 2008

I may be wrong, but a foot of snow equates to 'a few flakes of crispy white stuff ' in your mind??

Mr Mistoffelees 10:10 02 Dec 2008

What's that?

Whatever it is, I never see it here in South Somerset.

johndrew 10:18 02 Dec 2008

Snow click here ;-)

Quickbeam 11:06 02 Dec 2008

We've got freezing rain, it's like glass on the pavements. Why don't councils do the pavements anymore?

peter99co 11:23 02 Dec 2008

Clearing the pavement has it's problems. If you clear it and the salted snow turns to ice it is more of a problem. I think people have been sued for damages (Sure someone will confirm) by passers-by who have fallen and injured themselves. I leave mine alone and just clear the driveway inside the property.

micky d 12:26 02 Dec 2008

Where you at then Alan as there's not a hint of snow around these parts(Northants) . Cold..........check. Wet..........check. windy........check. Snow........nope.

Chegs ®™ 12:55 02 Dec 2008

Rarely see snow here,but on 1 of the rare previous occasions we'd had a local "freak" fall and the gritting crews got stuck.I abandoned my car and walked home,but as I was nearing my home(5 miles walk thru huge drifts,with double decker buses hidden in them)I came upon a geordie motorist waiting behind a truck,as I passed he wound down the window and beligerently asked "whats the hold-up?" at which I just pointed to all the snow and he then fired out the open window "I dont know,little bit of snow and the whole country grinds to a halt" I was sooooo tempted to point out to him that he'd stopped behind a truck that wasnt going anywhere and the road was clear past the tanker for at least a half mile,but I didnt,I just continued on wordlessly and thinking "muppet" The snowfall was only in approx 20 mile radius of this town,but it took 3 days before the main road was cleared.

Bingalau 12:56 02 Dec 2008

Still lovely and sunny here in the Formby area.. You lot are living in the wrong place. Then again maybe not, I wouldn't like this area to become overcrowded.

interzone55 13:01 02 Dec 2008

I got to work eventually - when the roads cleared a bit it still took an hour to travel a little under 4 miles.

I'm in Rochdale by the way, but most of the north west is covered and it's moving south.

newman35
Yes there was a foot outside my door, but the roads weren't quite so bad. I was though referring to times when chaos ensues after much less snow has fallen...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?