SNARF your emails for free.

TOPCAT® 13:44 06 Dec 2005

If you get many emails each day then you've probably been wishing there was a way to sort them based on, for instance, whether they're from people to whom you've recently sent email.

Well, that's exactly the kind of thing that a new software programme, the Social Network And Relationship Finder (SNARF) attempts to do. It uses a technique called "social sorting" that uses your past emailing history to determine who your friends or important business colleagues are. It's a free download from Microsoft Research. TC.

click here

DieSse 14:24 06 Dec 2005

*It uses a technique called "social sorting" that uses your past emailing history to determine who your friends or important business colleagues are.*

Do we really need software to tell us who our friends and important business colleagues are? Looks like a technology in search of a need to me!

wiz-king 19:26 06 Dec 2005

will it be clever enough to rate my girlfrieds emails above my wifes and then hide them?
.only jokeing! SWMBO come first--really.

VoG II 20:58 06 Dec 2005

Thanks TC. I'm giving it a trial just to see what it does - although I can't see it of being a great benefit for home PCs. Work might be a different issue but we don't use Outlook :o(

Forum Editor 23:13 06 Dec 2005

the first technical beta of Microsoft Office 12. I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement with Microsoft, and until that's lifted I'm not supposed to discuss any of the new features etc.

I don't suppose I'll go to prison if I tell you that the new version of Outlook will have some neat tools for sorting/marking email according to customised categories.

I'm with the others on 'social sorting' however - I can't see that software can be better than me at deciding who my friends and important business contacts are.

Canis meus id co 23:21 06 Dec 2005

Ah yes, a friend decided to take the naughty route and install a leaked version of Office 12 a couple of weeks ago.

All looks very nice, but from what I could see it looked a touch slow. Naturally something that will be addressed before release (we hope!). Or patched after release (we hope not!!)

I didn't think Outlook 12 looked much different than 2003, but Word was certainly a different monster. Creating, editing and formatting documents seemed a little more 'serial' with the new toolbars.

I'm sure it will be great, but unless MS decide to sell it for less than £100 I think I'll be giving it a miss.

Didn't look at Access at all though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?