Smart Meters coming soon, get yours now

Graham* 16:43 08 Nov 2016

We are told everyone will have Smart Meters by 2020. Ask your Utility company if you can have yours now. Mine are being installed on Friday November 25th. They're free.

john bunyan 16:47 08 Nov 2016

Just had a new 3 phase electric meter installed by SSE - no offer of smart meter!

Graham* 16:52 08 Nov 2016

You must be a heavy user!

lotvic 17:01 08 Nov 2016

I've failed to understand why the Utility company (and also me) needs to know hour by hour how much I've used. At present, if I really want to know, all I have to do is look at the meter.

I understand that it means I'll get 'more accurate bills' but that negates the advantage of spreading annual payments over 12 equal monthly DD payments. Now it'll go back to big bills in winter followed by smaller ones in warmer months, similar to how it used to be before, when we were on quarterly reads and billing.

TopCat® 17:23 08 Nov 2016

I'm waiting for secure resolutions to stories like this warningbefore getting mine fitted. TC.

BT 17:24 08 Nov 2016

I understand that it means I'll get 'more accurate bills'

I already get very accurate bills. I take the readings myself and submit them online. I read my Gas meter this week in response to BG request and found that when I went to submit my reading they had already done an estimated reading for some reason which was over 100 units higher than the actual reading. Fortunately my reading superceded theirs.

OTT_B 17:29 08 Nov 2016

They are indeed absolutely free, with you only having to pay for them if you chose to pay your (now very accurate?) electricity bill.

What a waste of my money.

wee eddie 18:06 08 Nov 2016

Smart Meters, are not yet that smart.

In fact, if it weren't for the Government promoting them, they would probably be deemed "Unfit for Purpose"

john bunyan 19:05 08 Nov 2016

Graham*

You must be a heavy user!

No, the house is on single phase but as I live down a sloping lane I have a small "pumping station" with a 3 phase submersed pump to pump sewage to the main sewer about 12ft higher and 1oo yards away through a pipe with non return valves. My electricity bill is not too bad.

lotvic 19:08 08 Nov 2016

JB, Glad to hear it's fitted with non return valves.

canarieslover 19:10 08 Nov 2016

It seems that the meters aren't smart enough to be used by another supplier if you happen to switch as my son found out recently. A bit like the early days of computing where every machine could only use software and hardware specific to that machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch